Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How is Elevenmile at 600cfs? Anyone know what runs are comparable? Thinking about that or lapping Poudre Narrows tomorrow.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I'm seeing 400 for the Lake George gauge. Is that the right one?

Either way, I'm interested in going tomorrow morning. I'm in Lakewood.

Josh
303-638-5705

·
Super Moderator
2,836 Posts
The gauge we need is SFSP near lake george. I can't find it. What is up with EF anyhow?

The 599 reading is SFSP above cheeseman. We need the cheeseman outflow, I think.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Phil,

I don't have a clue on whether it will hold or not. It's pretty unpredictable except that it rarely stays above 350 for long. Cross your fingers.

·
Super Moderator
2,836 Posts
3 of us leaving Boulder around nine. one vehicle looking to share shuttle. CAll if you are on the same program. Sounds busy enough to hitch.

·
Registered
299 Posts
If you're only thinking about this, get it while you can. There was roughly a one week period last year where it was up over 400, due to work on the dam. This is the only time it's been this high this year. The V's are a great at this level, and the inbetween stuff is pretty fun. There are a couple of flat stretches unfortunately though. Just don't forget it's five dollars per vehicle to get in the canyon and it's not covered by the state parks pass. Also, unless I hear otherwise requiring a change of plans, I'll be meeting some others up there at 10 am.

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
I'm still planning on going Sunday....if anyone else was foolish enough to make other plans for Saturday, your welcome to join.

·
Registered
509 Posts
What a great run! You can't see much from the road and what you can see doesn't look as big as it paddles. I think calling it a III with one IV is a bit of a sandbag though; I would say there are at least 3-4 IVs in there. Good times!

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
Today was a fantastic trip on Elevenmile, but I do feel I should share some info on a couple of hazards that definitely increase the consequences of this run...

The house size boulder at this drop is severly undercut:

(pic from last year)
, and (I wasn't present on this trip) another buzzard had a very unpleasant subterrainian experience underneath it yesterday (Saturday).

Then today a very solid boater friend of mine (gore, escalante, obj, big south) made a very poor decision to try and shoot a narrow slot...

he pinned, flipped, got sucked under the under cut, only to pop up swimming on the front side, then tried to pull himself up the flake in the center of the large boulder but dropped into the undercut again, only to pop up on the back side after I had time to paddle around the back and set up to pull him out...didn't look that serious until he was in it.

I thought I would also share the special info that I got my ass handed to me today too...at the very end of the run. This slide has a meaty hole at the bottom,
it humbled me...and I will leave it at that.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Great to see you guys there today and thanks for the heads up and the photos. What a special run that is. Glad everything turned out well.
Phil

·
Super Moderator
2,836 Posts
What a great run! You can't see much from the road and what you can see doesn't look as big as it paddles. I think calling it a III with one IV is a bit of a sandbag though; I would say there are at least 3-4 IVs in there. Good times!
Sand bagged? 3-4 IV's? Really? Are you calling the top two long rapids IV's as well as the last then? That last drop is the real deal, but other than the first and last drop, I did not see anything I might be tempted to call a IV. Maybe we took out too early?

I had a great day and do not regret going up there one bit, but I won't make that drive a gain any time soon.

At least we got to paddle Ian :)

·
Registered
509 Posts
I dunno...I consider Idaho Springs-Kermits to be class III creeking and I thought this was mostly a step up from that. Several horizon lines, a semi-sticky hole at that first drop (below the top V), lots of undercuts and a decent amount of maneuvering = a few IVs IMO. We paddled to just before the long meandering private fishing stretch about a mile above the bottom V.

Maybe my roll in the top bonafide IV was messing with my head. :p

1 - 20 of 26 Posts