Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am playing around with the idea of building an elevated cot-like platform on my raft. I have a frame built w/1.9:" od aluminum tubing. The frame is a 4 bay w/gear at different elevations above the frame--hence the idea of a cot above all the gear. I kind of envision using hollaender t's to tie the cot to the frame but would like to be as minimalistic as possible. If anyone has done anything like this and wouldn't mind posting pictures I'd appreciate it. Also, if you have ideas for/experience with a rainproof awning over the raft, that ties to the frame I'd appreciate pictures of that (particularly the tie-ins to the frame) as well.

Thanks

·
Sponsoring Vendors
266 Posts
Setting up cots or hammocks tends to be different for each frame. We don't have a lot of pictures, but have done a few different configurations for hammocks and cots over the years. Give us a call or stop by if you want to talk about the possibilites.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I have a table that is the right dimensions to fit my cockpit. My problem was that everything was kind of different heights as well and I ended up just using some wood as shims to level everything out. I only needed to go about an inch at the most though. Ends up being just the right size for our double sleeping bag.

MR

·
Registered
169 Posts
We've been thinking about this too and just had to replace the mat on our trampoline. The old mat might be the perfect material to mess around with and definitely large enough to cover the boat.

And what about using the same type of clam-shell attachment to the frame that the oar towers are in (on mine anyway). There could be one at each corner, with towers to drop in for attaching the cot. The oar towers could be replaced to make the middle connection.

Sewing the edges might be the tricky part, and making the connection spots strong enough. Maybe you could even use the same type of spring that's on a tramp.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Not sure if you have bought a tarp, but I use a Black diamond "Mega-mid" (a floorless tent) Take the oars cross wiseand cam strap them down tight, then use short cam straps from ea. corner to the end of the oar. I have used this prob 60 nights on rivers. Very bomber and you still have acess to your drag bag, potty in the middle of the night with out getting up and walking to the rio in the dark and on Grand trips or any trip where it is hot on the beach, it is allways sand free, level, and cooler at night to sleep on the raft! I had Jack make my Paco pad years ago for the frame i fabracated for my 18' Aire Lepord Cat. It is a sick set up.
My boat is the cocktail boat as well!!
Enjoy, and good luck!

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
I've become a hammock hanger this past summer. Super comfy for sleeping, but there aren't always trees available. Been toying with the idea of a tripod using my oars as a hammock support. The pic from DRE with the hammock stand built onto the frame looks sweet !!!!!
Good luck with your project Wishbone. Looks like lots of people have done what you're thinking about with good results. Don't you just love the off season, when we can tweak our set-ups.
KJ

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Have used my cot on my boat by just putting the legs on my cooler and drybox. Don't use this set up often on the Grand because with the tides, the boats are moving all night and rarely end up level. I've found it much simpler to just set my cot in the wet sand close to the boat.

·
Registered
62 Posts
What about a porta-ledge style platform with two sets of oar towers for legs/attachment points to the frame? You could then put some sort of mega-mid type shelter over it too...

·
Registered
575 Posts
Jake (oarboatman) and I built this feature into the frame on my boat, using the hatch cover (center) and the two nesting tables to provide a 48-66" x 72" sleeping platform. The daughter frame on the right side of this photo contains a table, and another we built another, shorter, table that will cover the footwell. It doesn't take long to reconfigure the boat into sleeping mode.

After a little bit of experience, we found it easier to sleep on the boat with the tables swapped, so that there was support for the woman and I to put our feet on each side of the cooler and our heads towards the bow in a "Y" config. The dog was quite happy with this arrangement as well. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
485 Posts
[ but I use a Black diamond "Mega-mid" (a floorless tent) Take the oars cross wiseand cam strap them down tight, then use short cam straps from ea. corner to the end of the oar.]

Liquid, are you using the megamid as a tent over the boat or as a hammock?
I've used the 'mid as a rain shelter with an umbrella stand and the pole, bungied off to the ends of the boat.

welcome to the buzz

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Jake (oarboatman) and I built this feature into the frame on my boat, using the hatch cover (center) and the two nesting tables to provide a 48-66" x 72" sleeping platform. The daughter frame on the right side of this photo contains a table, and another we built another, shorter, table that will cover the footwell. It doesn't take long to reconfigure the boat into sleeping mode.

After a little bit of experience, we found it easier to sleep on the boat with the tables swapped, so that there was support for the woman and I to put our feet on each side of the cooler and our heads towards the bow in a "Y" config. The dog was quite happy with this arrangement as well. :)
If you use tables as sleeping platforms, do you take down tables after dinner and set them back up for breakfast???

·
Beginner
2,468 Posts
The elevated platform could totally be done using the same materials as the mesh cockpit floors or beavertail floors. I just want for someone to design it and build it for me. It would basically be a portaledge/hammock hybrid - it hangs from four corners, but is rigid enough to be a platform - just like the mesh floors are.

For mid-style tents check out the http://www.golite.com/Product/ProdDetail.aspx?p=370003110&mc=154&t=&lat=GoLite Shangra-La 3. We have them in Fort Collins at our warehouse clearance sale for half price right now. It fits a 14-18 foot raft's width perfectly.

If anyone builds a frame-size hanging platform, please PM me I'd love to see/copy the design.

·
Registered
154 Posts
The elevated platform could totally be done using the same materials as the mesh cockpit floors or beavertail floors. I just want for someone to design it and build it for me. It would basically be a portaledge/hammock hybrid - it hangs from four corners, but is rigid enough to be a platform - just like the mesh floors are.

For mid-style tents check out the http://www.golite.com/Product/ProdDetail.aspx?p=370003110&mc=154&t=&lat=GoLite Shangra-La 3. We have them in Fort Collins at our warehouse clearance sale for half price right now. It fits a 14-18 foot raft's width perfectly.

If anyone builds a frame-size hanging platform, please PM me I'd love to see/copy the design.

Is there a mail order/shipping option for this half price deal?

·
Beginner
2,468 Posts
Is there a mail order/shipping option for this half price deal?
There isn't, but I'll ask permission tomorrow to post the 40% off your online order code for everyone. I'll also make a commercial post, but want to make sure it's Marketing Dept. approved.

In the mean time, check out the sale Fort Collins folk and look forward to one in Boulder and one in Denver soon!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm using the Mega-Mid as a tent. It works great. I have mine set up just as you described. If your boat is a little more narrow, Black Diamond makes different sizes of the "Mid". I have welded an umbrella mount to my frame also. In mellow water I designed it so I can still row it w/out my elbows or oars hitting the umbrella post. I built an extension for it that can be used to get a bit more height. I'll try to post a pic of it soon. I get comments on it everytime sombody sees it! The hard part is to find my favorite beer umbrella through distributors.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts