Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While skiing a couple of weeks ago, I managed to almost completely dislocate (aka subluxation of the joint) my elbow and put a hairline fracture in the radial head. I was just wondering if any boaters had experienced this injury and what the healing time is. Any info would help.

thx
Kris

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey Kris,

Sorry to hear about your elbow. Welcome to the club, there are very few of us. I disclocated my elbow about 3 years ago for the first time, snowboarding. I would say healing time was a few months. I was back in a board within a few weeks though. I was working as an instructor at the time, and I got back on teaching begginers.

As for kayaking, I have had really bad luck unfortunatly. I have dislocated it 4 more times that I can remember right now. The first and most painful was surfing a large surgy wave. I was setting up to do a butt bounce blunt and I took a large bounce and my elbow hit the deck of my butt and poped out. Another time playing in a hole, and once creeking. Ohhh wait there was another one a wave...

The best advice I have gotten was to really use the PT rubber bands and build up as much strength in the elbow as possible. I also sometimes wear an elbow brace.

The good news is, it does not really effect your paddling. Once your healed back up, you really dont notice it very much. When I do notice it, it just feels "loose" and thats when you really need to be careful.

Sorry to hear about your elbow, and I hope you recover well!

Ken Driscoll
Riot
http://www.kendriscoll.com

1 - 2 of 2 Posts