Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,050 Posts
...the buzzards are gonna have a field day critiquing that run and recovery!
Recovery?

And that was some interesting scenery toward the end as well. Looks like the the rest of the crew was in yardsale mode.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea one boat flipped, 4 had good runs. The rest was another group whose passengers decided to walk, only end up swimming along the shore on the left...

·
Super Moderator
2,900 Posts
Very entertaining and not a complete shitshow. did he run son of lava?

Did you?

15 seconds to unhook a throwbag is way too long. And where it was attached? You need to have that shit accessible. When upside down too. That is why I have one on bow D Ring and both oar towers. FWIW.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea he ran son of lava while i got picked up. Met back up at tequila beach. Completely agree about the throw bag. I always wear one around my waist.

·
Sponsoring Vendors
1,466 Posts
Good video. Its funny to see what your passengers do when you're not on your boat. Has me thinking.

So you guys walked back up to tequila beach? I watched it go by in the video thinking damn, they missed tequila beach, the only real blunder in a lava run.

I was surprised that he hadn't done at least some rowing up to that point. I know my passenger would have at least had some flatwater strokin in by lava.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Thanks for sharing and opening yourself up to the buzzards. I did have to chuckle at your passenger's lack of reaction. Lava always makes things interesting and better too far right than going into the ledge hole. I've seen the ledge hole do some strange magic (and none of it good) to rafts that go in there.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yep, i caught a lift thru son of lava and my passenger got her to shore just below tequila beach. Met back up with our group and spent three hours there havin a blast! cant wait to go back!

·
Super Moderator
2,900 Posts
Yea he ran son of lava while i got picked up. Met back up at tequila beach. Completely agree about the throw bag. I always wear one around my waist.
And thanks for offering up the video for the Buzz viewing pleasure.

Not so much for pool drop but say a very high water Middle Fork I have my peeps practice the "oh shits" - as in getting throw bag ready etc. Especially on the upper ( Marsh Creek ) I may not have the opportunity to use the bag myself.
I have even gone to the extent of having my passengers practice oar replacement with a spare so they know what was involved in getting the strap loose enough to slide it out.

No blood, no foul. Or very little. Can't wait to get back there myself.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Just returned from the GC yesterday. Saw the same thing happen to another group while at the Lava scout. The uncertainty of Lava always has some back rowing at the entrance setup. That tends to feed the boat into the right side. Try powering forward into that top wave and then towards the left below the ledge hole. That run seems to have much better odds at success. Glad it all worked out.

·
Registered
325 Posts
wow, that passenger was clueless. stand there and look for a while with no attempt to get on the oars. a half assed attempt to install the oar, then forever to pull out a throw bag, then forever to try to reinstall an oar, with the oar tether inboard of the tower.

i would hope passengers get some kind of instruction and familiarization with the gear before launching!

·
Sponsoring Vendors
1,466 Posts
The left starts to open up at 14-15 or so. It goes a little lower but is easy to blow it. It is still ledgy and Ive seen good boaters flip over there trying to avoid running the right which is munchy at those levels (13-15), alright its munchy at all levels. At 17-18K the left would have been open. It would have boated easier than it looked, but I would have run right as well. Getting to far right like he did is fairly common and ends in swims or flips. I remember one right run where my passenger was yelling at the top "were going into the ledge!!!" when in fact we werent. Staying fairly tight to the ledge with a little left angle accelerates you and surfs you right and keeps you set up to hit the V wave straight and center which typically lets you through and keeps you left of the cheesegrater and god forbid, that fucking corner pocket. From experience, you don't want to be in corner pocket!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts