Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering upgrading to sawyer squaretops, but ProLoks is pushing their Edge oar with some amazing claims about warranty, flex, strength, and weight.

Has anyone used them on whitewater? I can only find II-III driftboat use...

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Buddy of mine delamed the blades in less than 6 months of fishing. He is on the water a lot but still, I'd wait or get different blades. Super light and quite stiff. A bit on the pricey side too. Dan did warrantee the blades without a hitch so the warrantee is good.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, I also quite like the pro lock. took most every good side of each design, eliminated all the downsides, and made them play well together. great design.

I am curious particularly about the shafts. They sound really well made, but I'm looking for that "I flipped on the Selway at 5' and everything survived" whitewater endorsement.

Is there a consensus best oar on the market? those square tops look pretty sweet to me. But maybe the ww market just hasn't caught on yet?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Square tops are sweet but you loose the ability to use a pro lok. The advantages of the pro lok outweigh the extra weight you add with the cat shafts as far as range of motion and feathering/ sculling. We are going to try the cat shafts with dynalite blade combo on a sotar strike fishing boat and try to get the best of both worlds. Not sure if other manufacturers blades fit the edge shafts but I'm sure we can find out. I'm going to try my best to get that strike upside down next spring but as for now the testing is all low water fishing.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
my interweb is too poor to watch videos but from what I gather he has a different sleeve? Was thinking of cutting a slice out of a collar and popping the oar in, then drilling and fastening the collar back together. Hard part is cutting the rope off and committing to it. I also worry about the abrasive elements on the oar. I have worn some grooves in a set of shafts and then got the shrink wrap to cover/ fix the problem but you would be unable to get a shrink wrap tube on a ST oar

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
looks like a three step process:

remove rope wrap, install pro sleeve pvc shrink wrap oar sleeve

Install oar stopper, which has a slit, goes on over the blade, then clamps closed.

install pro lok sleeve, which also has a slit, goes on over the blade, and clamps closed when you tighten the bolts on the horns.

Bit of work to deal with rope wrap as it is epoxied on.... but otherwise simple.

So, basically just as you propose. no extra cost for a stock set of square top pro loks. Dan will sell just the pro lok sleeve for $40 for a pair, if you want to retrofit.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
just talked to Dan. He said that delam has only happened once in 1000 sets. He also said they will be fully warranteed if it happens again. Also the damage was not catastrophic and in a multi day scenario they would have held up for a lot longer, long enough to get out and then some since they are graphite.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
stand up guy.

figure I can always run some beater carlisles, or cataracts if I'm worried about real thrashage.

but after seeing nearly universal squaretops in the guide fleets, on 16' gear boats off the top at 1.5 from boundary ... if they can take that abuse, I ain't gonna throw anything worse at 'em.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts