Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an Eco Safe toilet system last year, and it came with their new square seat Product Page | Down River Equipment Company. I thought the new style might be space saver since they had done away with the traditional toilet seat. While I like the simplicity of the square seat, I did not like the flimsy take-out bowl that is meant to cover the opening since it did not keep dew/rain off the seat and it seemed kind of unsanitary to me. After using the set-up for a couple of trips I made this cover that I thought would address some of these shortcomings. I made it out of 3/16" white acrylic with stainless steel strap hinges from McMaster-Carr and ss fasteners.

·
Registered
540 Posts
That square seat doesn't look like much of a space saver compared to the traditional toilet seat - the thing's pretty thick.

And I think you forgot your picture/link.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Photos

I had some trouble uploading the images...

Groover lid.jpg

Groover lid open.jpg

·
Registered
82 Posts
I think the idea was sturdiness and one piece construction that is easier to clean. Not necessarily size. But like you said the lid was bad. If you were buying today would you go the square route or traditional style?

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
The problem I had with my old traditional toilet seat on my ecosafe was........back splash. The first time I tried the new square seat......I tossed my old seat in the trash. The depth of it is it's key to success. It keeps the danglie things from becoming blue and wet when dropping a big one into a somewhat full box. :shock:

I like your new lid set up pmann. Does the thickness of the lid still allow you to store it in an ammo box?

·
Registered
227 Posts
How does this seat even work? I mean... Where does your junk go? Does it just hang outside on the ledge? That's just... ewwwww!

Maybe four guys could share this by each sitting a different direction?

I can't imagine the ladies like this better than the traditional bathroom style seat either.

·
Registered
385 Posts
The new square setup works way better than the old. I sold my whole Eco system because of the disgust-o-funnel turd ramp they used to sell. Wish I hadn't after I used the new style seat. Still a long ways from something like selway fab's riverbank setup, but it's a vast improvement.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Why don't more people use the Selway Fab riverbank toilet system? What are the pros/cons between it and the rocket box style?

·
Registered
170 Posts
I had some trouble uploading the images...

View attachment 10861

View attachment 10862
Where or how did you make the cover. i.e. cutting of the plastic not just the hinges, and how much do you have into the addition.

I like the tab on the right side to pick of the lid. I also agree on the dew in the morning can be a pain on the toilet seat and a increase of the usage of TP for cleaning the seat of

Thank Matt

·
Registered
36 Posts
Only downside to the selway system is how big and bulky it is. Yes for that couple of minutes in the morning it can't be beat, but the rest of the time its kind of an asspain. Mine seems to stay in the shop as often as it gets loaded up, if you have access to a skatmachine hard to beat straight up rocketbox.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The new square setup works way better than the old. I sold my whole Eco system because of the disgust-o-funnel turd ramp they used to sell. Wish I hadn't after I used the new style seat. Still a long ways from something like selway fab's riverbank setup, but it's a vast improvement.
I agree that the new Eco Safe seat is better. Keep in mind that the Eco Safe is ~$170 cheaper than the Selway Fabrication system. We used that system or something very similar at base camp on our horse trips, and I remember it working pretty well, but I also remember it being pretty bulky and lacking any good rigging points. How do you rig yours?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Where or how did you make the cover. i.e. cutting of the plastic not just the hinges, and how much do you have into the addition.

I like the tab on the right side to pick of the lid. I also agree on the dew in the morning can be a pain on the toilet seat and a increase of the usage of TP for cleaning the seat of

Thank Matt
The hinges and fasteners were under $20 McMaster-Carr, and I poached the acrylic out of my buddy's scrap pile. If you don't have a plastics supplier where you are I'm sure you can find something online (I know Online Metals carries some sheet plastic products Order Plastic Acrylic Sheet in Small Quantities at OnlineMetals.com). Acrylic can be cut with most woodworking saws, if you don't have access to a bandsaw or a tablesaw you could use a jigsaw and a straightedge.

PS- I now see you're in Golden, so I would recommend Plasticare in Sheridan for the acrylic. They have a scrap bin and will even cut it for you for a price.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The hinges and fasteners were under $20 McMaster-Carr, and I poached the acrylic out of my buddy's scrap pile. If you don't have a plastics supplier where you are I'm sure you can find something online (I know Online Metals carries some sheet plastic products Order Plastic Acrylic Sheet in Small Quantities at OnlineMetals.com). Acrylic can be cut with most woodworking saws, if you don't have access to a bandsaw or a tablesaw you could use a jigsaw and a straightedge.
Perfect. I was thinking I could use a wood router.

·
Registered
36 Posts
On my old cat it rigged great, 5th bay was selway groover and a drybox to fill the rest width. Doesn't go anywhere very well in roundboat other than just taking up a lot of room in everything bag, and getting left home a lot.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts