Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don’t know the first thing about Eastern rivers and looking to spend a couple weeks rafting out there. Has to be July-Aug which I assume is a problem.

I’m a decent class IV boater, but the whitewater isn’t goal #1. I’m looking to travel through some scenic country and get to know a new region. Is there anything out there that would approximate a western multi day? Roadside is OK too. I don’t mind driving all over. Thanks for your suggestions.

·
Registered
106 Posts
All the long multi-day trips I’ve done in the South have been in a canoe. There are some great rivers on the coastal plain that should have boatable flows even in the summer. One trip to consider is the Choctawhatchee River starting in South Alabama. You can do well over 100 miles and paddle all the way to the Gulf of Mexico.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
go to the Bryson City NC area. Start at NOC. Nantahala is a easy but good roadside warmup / training little river (if running, the upper Nanty will get your heart rate up a bit). Ocoee is a fine roadside class 3./4 run that is just plain fun. Chatooga goes from mild to wild your choice on the section. If the Green River is running in NC, you have a class 3 upper fun run then a bust yer butt gorge, recommend a local guide for first gorge run. NOC is the place to meet up plus they run trips. Several other nice rivers in the area NOC will have directions etc.

Then move north around Asheville NC and it gets even better.

Too many big and little fun runs to list here. But NOC a few miles south of Bryson City is the place to start and find out details of area rivers. New River as mentioned is also a really good big water kayak run. Advise a local on first run just to show you the lines as you do not want to swim on New River Gorge or lower Russell Fork Gorge run. Russel Fork also good. I know my first run of New River Gorge I had plenty of creek running time. At the second drop from the put in I asked my bud who had a lot of New River runs under his belt to coach me on the lines the rest of the run. He did and no problems but man I appreciated his leading. Upper Russell Fork is a fun class 3 plus run and the Gorge is in my opinion a class 5 run that you better be prepared to paddle from the put in to the take out.

If you are arriving from the west on I 40, check out Obed and Big South Fork rivers a bit north of Crossville TN. These may be a good choice for rafting day trips. Do a search on these rivers and WW boating on the Tennessee Plateau area. Both rivers are full of good sections to pick from..

I am now a over the hill beat up old kayak creek boater. Grew up in North Georgia area but spent most of my time boating in the east TN west NC areas with some drives further North. If you want a lot of fun streams to run, this is the area to investigate. Most of my experience in the SE is kayak oriented so be aware of that but rafts do run most of these streams. Ask NOC for recommendations.

Not that many multi day raft trips, mostly day trips.

·
Registered
38 Posts
In the Asheville area there are also lots of good day trips. Check out the French Broad, Nolichucky, and Pigeon too. It would be easy to camp near the put ins or take outs and run day trips.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts