Mountain Buzz banner

East Coast Rafters... Where'd they go?

3208 33
It seems over the last 8-12 years or so east coast boaters who were quite chattery have disappeared. They aren't on the vast wastelands of boatertalk or NPMB or any other forum. Facebook might have swallowed some up. But that's a cesspool in itself.

Are the mountain buzz folks that uninviting? Or does buzz need an east coast sub forum?

FWIW, I've pulled a lot of great information from those old threads and it's a shame those folks are gone. I could be a member of 200 FB groups but it's a lot easier to search buzz for quality info than wade through FB. Hopefully we can get some east coast boaters back filling the forums with good info.
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
For sure those are some awesome runs, and I’d love to get on them all. I guess I was thinking more from the perspective of oar boats and multi-day trips. I do think there are way more private rafters in the West than East though.
I agree with you on that. Not much for overnight trips, for sure. I have seen an increase of private boaters the last couple of years, though.

· Beater
237 Posts
There are roughly 20 people who graduated from my highschool in upstate NY within a year of my graduating class living in SLC. I brought half of them here to work at the ski area. The other half showed up on their own.

Now that the cost of housing has tripled and the lake is about to dry up and they’re all getting married and having kids, they’re talking about heading back East.
Please encourage them to head back east...

· Registered
6,248 Posts
There is some truth to this because as a outdoors oriented person who does a bunch of sports, lots of my partners have moved west. On the flip side, I've met a lot of people that moved east. Don't get me wrong, it's a negative migration east. Afterall everyone lives in Denver/Boulder, Boise, or Spokane nowadays.
Spokane is awesome. Everyone should skip Montana and move there.

· Registered
52 Posts
East is great if you're a kayaker. Rafting there is a lot more limited, and fly-fishing absolutely non-existent. I spent a few years living in ATL (back when I was primarily a kayaker), and I did a shit ton of boating. I miss how early Spring hits there, and the Fall paddling can be outstanding. There is a great line up of scheduled Fall releases in the Southeast now. Cheoah and Tallulah were my two favorites. Back the in day there were bargains on real estate in the rural areas of TN, NC and GA, but I'm sure those days are long gone.

I'm in Idaho now, and am actually considering moving to California, and least for the winters. There are so many of them moving here that we're dealing with California level crowding, and Californian level real estate prices, and California attitudes. Might as well be there where the weather is a lot nicer.
[/QUOTE
Who runs shuttle for the gorge?

· Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Yep. In my neck of the woods, within a 2 hour drive, I have the Penobscot, Kennebec and Dead. Within 4 or so, I have the Hudson, West, Deerfield, and rivers in Quebec.
The Penobscot looks pretty sweet. On my tick list as a private boater. I've done most of the others. They all run all summer (including the west, unfortunately no announcement on releases besides spring and fall drawdown just gotta wait till it rains and show up).

· Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Um, except for the awesome rafting on the Yough, Gauley, New, Savage, Russel Fork, Ocoee, French Broad, and a hundred other rivers! It's the west where rafting is limited, man.
East is great if you're a kayaker. Rafting there is a lot more limited, and fly-fishing absolutely non-existent.
Um, except for the awesome rafting on the Yough, Gauley, New, Savage, Russel Fork, Ocoee, French Broad, and a hundred other rivers! It's the west where rafting is limited, man.
Don't forget the Moose (all the branches and the middle/lower), Boreas, Beaver, Fish Creek, Catskill Creek, Deerfield Dryway, Lehigh, Black, WB Sacandaga, Schroon (awesome at 7+ft), Cedar, Hudson, Raquette, Salmon to name a few in or close to NY suitable for a raft that either are dam release, or have normal spring or fall flows or rise quickly with rain.

· Registered
280 Posts
A warm fall hudson day is magical, the scenery is unbelievable, and the water is a hoot. I have had a few best day ever trips on with my son and a few close friends. The shuttle is a bit, and it is rough when it is just a dam release (try and take out before 3 pm, I dare ya) but it is one of the most fun places to row that I can think of on the east

· Registered
703 Posts
Drysuits on and lots of raft surfing this weekend.

We would Eddy out to swim, pee, bullshit, whatever, and you’d still get to the garnet mine (or is it a sex toy factory) and you’d see a river wide scene of boats stuck on rocks 200 yards down and know you were on the front end the bubble. Custies were always very confused.

One of the best surfs was the last drop at the bottom of Givneys. It was only in if you were ahead of the bubble. As the pool fills, the ledge and surf disappear. Only place I’ve ever flipped a commercial raft. No real swim involved, because it’s at the top end of a looong pool. We called it bubble beater. Better not get it when it’s bubble misser, bc you’re never coming out..

21 - 34 of 34 Posts