Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I am thinking of taking a few weeks to see family in The DC area, and would like to do some (a lot) of boating while there.

Other than the Potomac, I am looking at going to MD/PA for the Yough, Deep Creek area, etc, then maybe also to Western NC and Eastern TN.

Please give recommendations for Rivers / places to check out, and resources for meeting other paddlers, and finding beta on flows.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Check out the Cheat River Canyon (Albright, WV) - great run with no trains or cars next to it. You can hit the Big Sandy (shares the same take out as Cheat) in the same day if you one of those people who starts early.

Keep an eye open for the Savage release schedule and water levels in the different tributaries of the Shenandoah. Fun creeking to be had there.

For non-boating, check out Cunningham Falls State Park near Fredrick, MD. Lots of family friendly hikes and a good swimming lake.

enjoy.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I live in Garrett county, Md, tons of good stuff around here. Def check out the Yough. The north branch of the potomac will be releasing everyother weekend in April and May. The Cheat is a blast, Cheatfest is the first weekend in May...not to be missed. Check out the big sandy and pretty much everything else in Wv. Pm me if you make it out this way. -Jesse

1 - 5 of 5 Posts