Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my 7th summer kayaking (read: owning a kayak and getting out 1-2 times/year) but I am determined to get better and do it more often this summer. Its my 2nd summer living in Eagle county and I have no excuse for not kayaking more with so many good class III sections of river right out my door. I have ran the section from Avon to Edwards in my kayak, and the lower sections down to Eagle in my raft, so I am familiar, but no expert. I have also ran various class III sections from the upper and lower blue, ten mile creek, to shoshone, but I need to do it more and would like to find someone close to my level to progress with. My goal is to run Dowd chutes before the water drops below runable levels. I live in Edwards, and work in Eagle-Vail and I would like to get out there a couple times / week either before or after work (flexible 9-5 job). PM me if this sounds like something you want to do, or let me know if you are heading onto the river and want someone to join. - Bryan

·
Registered
346 Posts
I will be moving up to Edwards June1, be happy to have people up there to paddle with. I have progressed a bit further, but maybe you can learn from my mistakes. I have regular hours with every other Friday off.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sounds like we would be compatible paddlers. I am in Dillon class 3-4 paddler and like hitting up the play parks. 970-485-3656

·
Registered
13 Posts
I live in Avon and run the eagle a few times a week, Im a IV+ boater with a few V's under my belt but am always looking for new paddling buddies in the valley. I can boat Thursday and Friday this week, let me know!
719 253-2579 -John

·
Registered
13 Posts
You should also check out Eagle River Valley Boaters Facebook page. its for kayakers in the vail valley and great place to meet fellow paddlers and find out about local races, swaps and events.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Webstar, I live in Edwards. Boating partner is JTB88, we definitely hit the Eagle a few days a week. 3OH3-929-9221. Also, planning on trips over to the Ark if you are interested.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the responses! I have an excellent flat water roll, and a pretty good whitewater roll, but my brace has kept me from needing it the past few runs.

k, jakoby, let me know when you are out this way.
JTB88, I was hoping to get out this week but my week filled up and I left my paddle in Breck.
bnagler1, I am heading to BV this weekend and want to run Browns if you are out that way.

I will be available next week for weekday runs, and will hit up the FB page.
Hope to see you on the river! 7o4 8o6 5453
-Bryan

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
Any interest in boating the Eagle from Cross Creek to the FS building above Dowd? Really fun, creeky class 3. I have trouble getting Ark Valley boaters motivated to go check it out...

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
Might paddle Brown's today if you want to get some Class III in. Leaving Leadville early afternoon. (970) 673-RAFT.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Any interest in boating the Eagle from Cross Creek to the FS building above Dowd? Really fun, creeky class 3. I have trouble getting Ark Valley boaters motivated to go check it out...
Agree with lmeyers, the eagle from tigiwon rd through minturn is a blast. Really continuous easier creek like fun. Way more fun than the lower avon/edwards and easier than dowd. Or run from tigiwon through dowds. maybe the minturn section gets overlooked because its not in CRC.....check it out

·
Registered
2 Posts
I live in Avon, get off at 5pm m-th and 11am fri. Its my first year and don't know anyone else that kayaks. I can roll and am comfortable on ll's but haven't tried any lll's. So if your willing to maybe hang back a little I would be down to go after work and weekends

·
Registered
4 Posts
I live in Avon, get off at 5pm m-th and 11am fri. Its my first year and don't know anyone else that kayaks. I can roll and am comfortable on ll's but haven't tried any lll's. So if your willing to maybe hang back a little I would be down to go after work and weekends
I'm in the same boat as Dave, no pun intended. I'm a beginner this year looking for some paddling friends. I do not know how to roll...yet. I will be taking a class as soon as I get a little more experience on the water. I live in East Vail and typically have Sunday-Monday-Tuesdays off. If anyone is looking for an extra to add to their group, I am always up for it. But seeing as how I'm inexperienced, I wouldn't blame people for not wanting to wait on me. Anyways, hit me up at (720)240-8023.
-TJ

·
Registered
157 Posts
i have been running tigwon road thru dowd chute, its bony at the top, but its a decent run to start getting in shape, you could take out above the chute if your not comfortable, the section above the chute is fun, keeps you on your toes, not too dangerous ( roadside, easily scoutable) once it rises its more fun and not as bony obviously, if you put in below cross creek theres a little more volume. paddle hard & Pura Vida.

·
tytanr
116 Posts
Eagle river

LMeyers, Ty here in Grand Jct. If you have some days from May 28 thru June 3rd. I am wanting to get in a couple of days on the Minturn and upper Eagle run during that time. Would look forward to boating with you again. Anyone else on this thread that want to boat during that time then PM me at nine7zero-two1zero-3five6nine.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Add me to the list of vail valley boaters. Have not met many local paddlers yet. Add me to the list for after work runs or weekends. Also have every other Friday off, tomorrow is one of them. III-IV boater sound roll to date. Mid flow lower CC, slaughterhouse, numbers, Foxton, Bogan etc. only one dowd run at 2200, need to add more laps there but felt it was in my comfort zone.

·
tytanr
116 Posts
Minturn and Upper Eagle

'K' and I are planning a day on these runs Friday if anyone else is interested in joining in.

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
What time Ty? I am looking to paddle late afternoon and would come up there if it worked out. Also thinking I will go to Anthracite this weekend...

If you possibly wanted to run Gore Creek through the Upper Eagle I could meet you for Minturn after...

·
Registered
157 Posts
i have a comm. chute trip tomorrow AM, maybe be looking to boat tigawon or cross to below chute afterwards ill probably solo it,but maybe ill syotr. cheers.
im V- and ran that sections tons o times. what time you guys thinking?

lmyers-isnt anthracite v+? and it says its pretty high.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts