Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to look at a used E series boat tomorrow. I don’t know anything about them. Would it make a good oar frame gear boat or are these just for paddle boats? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
The only photo on the Aire website of an E boat on the river shows it rigged with an oar frame with what appears to be a camping load:

Would really depend on price, age, and condition. And floor type. I don't like my ballast floor Aires when paddling, but really like their stability and predictability when rigged with gear.
If you don't overpay, you can always resell a good name brand boat. The E series aren't as popular as the R's and D's (or newer DD's) but that doesn't mean they're bad boats.

Price and age? any pics?

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Looks to be a similar vintage to my 2004 156R. Based on what I can see (shine and no yellowing of the AIRE emblem) it looks to have been stored out of the sun.
Flip it over and check for unusual wear/damage/tears on the bottom.

Probably worth $2,000-2,500

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
If it has a ballast floor, consider deflating, unzipping and checking for general cleanliness. One feature of aire boats is the "wet floor" that must be cleaned from time-to-time to prevent wear on the bladder. You can tell if it has a ballast floor by looking for mesh holes on the bottom (underside).

·
Registered
85 Posts
Going to look at a used E series boat tomorrow. I don’t know anything about them. Would it make a good oar frame gear boat or are these just for paddle boats? Thanks.
I have 3 AIRE boats. All 15'6", 2 E series, 1 R series. I had a D Series years ago and unloaded it first chance. I would replace my R series in a heartbeat for another E. I believe you cannot match the ability to handle large loads, tracking, and everything about it. Maybe it is my rowing style.

If you are interested, here is my E series on the Selway at around 6'.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have a 143E and love it. You can some into smaller features a little sideways for a splashier ride for passengers.

The boat you are looking at looks super clean, as someone else mentioned the Aire logos are pristine, I have a friend with that style logo whose boat always lives inside and his clear plastic is starting to discolor and come loose. I'm guessing the one you're looking at has little use.

I mostly row mine, I toss a big pile of gear in it and she does just fine. My last trip I took 2 100+ qt coolers, a dry box, 2 passengers, water jugs and a big gear stack with no issues.

If you call in the serial number Aire should know more about that boat. The last 2 digits should be the year of manufacture to give you an idea while you're looking.

Good luck! Let us know what happens

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Well, I bought it. It’s a 1995 143E. Kinda wondering why I bought a 25 year old boat but here it is.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I can't even tell that thing has been used before! Looks like a nice boat to me. Those inner valves look less than ideal for w paddle crew (ouch!) Or topping off with a frame on it. What did you pay for her?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts