Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
18' Kodiak
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Folks,

I'm having a hard time resourcing some Dyneema rope. I would prefer that over Spectra. Most resources I have found don't specifically state "Dyneema" in the construction. Kind of blown away that a simple Google search isn't getting me the results I'm looking for.

So my question is... Where are you folks getting your Dyneema rope from?
Thanks.

·
18' Kodiak
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that neighbor. I knew NRS had some. I should have mentioned that I was looking in range of 1/2". NRS has up to 3/8".

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
That is heavily used in the offroad industry for Winch Line. Depending on how much you need, there are companies that sell winch extension lines for a reasonable price. You can buy spools of the Amsteel stuff and it is pretty well regarded. Not cheap though.

Dyneema and Spectra are the same thing by the way....just different brand names of the same material.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Amsteel questions

Is 3/8" the accepted size for pin kits among those of you that use it?

Does a 100' or longer piece pack down smaller than other typical,pin kit ropes?

·
Banned
258 Posts
Amsteel questions

Is 3/8" the accepted size for pin kits among those of you that use it?

Does a 100' or longer piece pack down smaller than other typical,pin kit ropes?
I run 3/8" , I don't know if it packs down smaller it is different for sure. I wouldn't use it for rescue bags. I just use it for the main haul line because there is no strech compared to the kits sold commercially. You really start pulling with a pulley reduction system and the standard rescue rope kits usually load up and snap like a gunshot taking out your eyeball then your a pirate.

I started using Amsteel about 6 years ago, never seen anyone else use it except locals in the area. Everyone always asks me what it is. It's another one of those things like I was mentioning in another post. Alot of the stuff talked about on here we have already been using or figured out years ago out of necessity.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Yeah....the main reason that Dyneema rope is used in the offroad industry is because it doesn't load up. You can pull it to breaking strength and it will just fall to the ground rather then snap back at you. Its also much lighter weight. I definitely wouldn't say its going to pack down any smaller then a standard rope. That said, you could go with thinner rope and still have the strength you need since this stuff is very strong. The 3/8" stuff does 17k pounds, but even the 3/16" is rated at just under 5k pounds. The tradeoff for me is that if you are using it for a pulley system or a z-drag, its harder to grip the smaller rope.

Amsteel started out as mooring line for the shipping industry, so its primarily designed for water use and pulling heavy loads in an industrial setting. I'm sure it will work well for rafting use too. The other cool thing is that you can splice it, so if you did manage to break it you can fairly easily reattach the ends with some basic tools.

Downsides are its hard to tie knots and have them stay since the rope is so slippery and knots tend to untie themselves. You can still use knots, you just have to take special care to watch that they aren't coming undone. Its great for pulling, but you can still wear through it on a sharp rock. Offroad people tend to have a length of webbing on it to protect it in this situation. Its not good in situations where it gets hot, but that isn't a real concern with rafting. It can break down with extended UV exposure as well. Other then the knot thing, the problems are largely manageable.

Amsteel sells direct and have reasonable prices ($2.48 a foot for 3/8") ... Amsteel Blue 3/8" Synthetic Rope by the Foot - 17,600 lbs - AmsteelBlue

·
Registered
385 Posts
Be surprised if a Prussik wouldn't hold. By the nature of the knot it compresses equal to the load. Harder you pull the harder it grips. Should be fine, although his stuff is pretty slick.

·
Banned
258 Posts
It is slick, it is much like a Chinese thumb trap, the rope can be spliced if you have the skills and patience and it tightens on itself not loosing much tensile strength ,it isn't recommended to put a knot in this type of line but rather splice.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Will Prussik knots hold on to it?
It might not hold quite as well as other ropes, but I think it would still be fine. I also think its fine for stuff like a truckers hitch where you just put a bight in the center part of the rope. Something like a Watermans knot or overhands don't work that well on these. They also seem to work fine for self tightening knots like clove hitches and I've used a sheepshank on them with some success too.

·
Jared
733 Posts
I've spooled a couple of winches with the synthetic lines, yup they feel slippery. It would be interesting to see how prussics grip them. What size/ type of prussic do you use?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts