Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Avid Kayaker, Skier, mountain biker, sick of driving I70 from the Front Range. Looking to make the move to the big mountains. Ready to relocate to anywhere between Vail and Rifle and up to Aspen. Looking for a job doing GIS which I have 4 years experience in. Any help is appreciated. Post or PM me if you know of anything.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
so whats GIS?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Geographic Information Systems?

Not a total guess, but I'm not really sure. Please refresh my memory.

·
Registered
334 Posts
GIS= Great Intence Sex!

I know, I know perverted but whats the point of an open forum if you can't say stupid things like that.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
wow, glad I asked

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'm in the GIS/Carto field myself. Not much out here right now, unless you want to work for the oil/gas industry. Big bucks and probably traveling involved, but I'm not in the loop as far as the industry goes.

Check with the county/city governments. They usually have a GIS dept.

BLM/USFS have GIS depts in each field office.

Keep checking sites like...

http://www.gjc.org/

http://www.gisjobs.com/

·
God Amongst Men
1,994 Posts
surveying companies always need people in the know with GIS. also look into the regional city governments, they use that a lot to. and yes, it is geographic information system, i dot was all over it

·
Registered
346 Posts
This may be a bit far west, but I know that Mesa County had been looking for help in the GIS department (not sure if these positions have been filled or not). Delta and Montrose may have options too.

If the Bureau of Rec would give a little on the whitewater park, it could make for a solid boating community. 12 months of waves in the playpark, spring Escalante, tour the rest of Colorado in the Summer and Westwater and Gunny Gorge in the fall, plus you have reasonable access to the Glenwood area without the traffic, all in a decent metro (kind of) area.

·
Registered
67 Posts
me too!

crazy, goldcamp, I am in the same exact situation myself... I have been working in the GIS field for 10 yrs now, working for ESRI now here in Broomfield for 6 yrs, super-specialized at this point with ArcSDE and database stuff. Almost willing at this point to trash 10 yrs of work just to live outside of the front range!

GIS opportunities exist in counties, cities everywhere, but are few and far between as when someone finds a good position for the govt in a sweet place they tend to retire there! Also opportunities are out there for the Forest Service as long as you don't mind being on the cutting edge of the software.

Anyway, pm me if you want!

Nicole Wigston

·
Registered
67 Posts
correction

that, is if you don't mind NOT being on cutting edge of software is what i meant ;) The fed agencies can tend to have alot of frustrating policies and procedures that can tend to prohibit leverage of new technology.
I have a close friend who worked in GIS at Mesa County and i think she liked it, though this is now about 8-12 yrs ago and i know she didn't make good money... though i'm sure that's the deal with city/county govt jobs in general.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all your valuable advice

What a kick ass community we have that you can put up a post on something completely unrelated to the website itself and get so much help and support. Boating is as much about the water as it is about the camaraderie with the other people passionate about the sport. I have never experience such an accepting, fun loving, and supportive group of people. It must be something in the water.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Just hang out here long enough, not every post is as supportive or useful (try the "Vail Sucks" thread for an example) as they used to be...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Neither Mesa County or Grand Junction are hiring for GIS right now. You would have to fight me for the job anyway. The pay is a heck of a lot better than the non-profit gig that I currently have, but its a trade-off for sure.

GIS is so hot right now. Oh yeah.

·
Registered
518 Posts
WhiteLightning is correct. Eagle County (in Eagle) was looking for GIS. But Vail Sucks, so don't move there.

There are a ton of Engineering/Surveying companies in the Eagle Valley...and tons of work if you know Softdesk-AutoCAD, which i'm sure you do.

GIS is only gonna be at governemetn/county. Survey companies- Eagle Valley Surveying, Peak Land Consultants, Alpine Engineering, Archibeque Surveying, Marcin Enginering, Eldridge Surveying, Inter-mountain....
these are just off the top of my head. There are a ton.

You could also do civil engineering with a few weeks of learning. I came into my job (have it now for 8 years) knowing nothing but chemical engineering.

Good Luck.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts