Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To the guys who are going so fast down green cat tracks and overcrowded pre-season cruisers that they are dying on impact when they lose control: thank you for not taking a little kid with you, you flaming assholes. You are the reason I cringe when I ski early season with my family. Have fun being dead.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I agree with your sentiment even if your delivery could use work. :) I am avoiding the hill until later this season because of that very reason. Its too dangerous for the 5 yr old and I just got a shiny new acl and meniscus. Hoping the resorts get the lifts open soon.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Yea I don't ski front range resorts pretty much ever - just not worth it.

Also you will never ever find me on a "white ribbon of death" - ever. I think that there are Mr Rogers re-runs on all day and I would rather fill my time enjoying the show than dodging "rangers" on a ice chunk that resembles Minnesota more than Colorado.

It sucks - but you choose to put your life in peril when you choose to ski the anywhere on the I-70 shit show..

Just the way it is and it is not going to change.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Thought your post was rather harsh Ture, but I then I tried to ski at WP today (Sunday). I survived 2 runs without injury or death, and I consider that a big accomplishment for the day.

Usually we have about 10 runs to choose from for every lift taking you to the top, but today there was 2 lifts going to the top for one run!!!!! If they can't increase the downhill capacity by opening more runs, then they should decrease the uphill capacity by only having 1 lift.

Then you look at the people on the slopes, and realize most everyone fits into one of two categories: either snowboarders with testosterone levels 20X their IQ levels, or beginner skiers who think if they can go really fast in a straight line, then they really aren't beginners anymore. Wow, scary! If other resorts are looking the same, then I'm surprised there were only 2 deaths last week.

·
Registered
579 Posts
didn't i see this post last year about this time.....
....and the year before.

oh yeah and your yeti cooler works in the back of your subaru/tacoma.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Point taken about dangerous early season conditions and people skiing too fast, but if you knew anything about the skiier that died you may have a little compassion. It was indeed a freak accident. Your comment just physically made me feel sick, you insensitive ass.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Seems to me that's it's the summit county brah's that are the reckless ones. But then again I'm just making a broad generalization,like everyone else on the webz. People that live in the mountains,or ski,couldn't possibly be out of control,you're all far too rad to ever be questioned. I hope one day I can live in mountains and finally be core. I already know which pair of Mountain Khakis I'm gonna rock everyday too. Mountain people are tough,and knowledgable when it comes to all things. They're infallible. It's science

·
Registered
355 Posts
GOBACKTOTHEFRONTRANGE.COM remember that site, it was sweeeet!

Pump House is sick
Barry Dingle rocks mountain khakis and drives a range rover.
This thread is super lame.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hell of a way to start the season, no? You people hate, hate, hate. Did I mention that you hate??? I also got sick reading the start of this thread - Ture, Pizzle, RdNeck - eat a dick. All of you guys act like your shit doesnt stink - you are the same as anyone who goes to the mountains to recreate - you had to learn to ski, raft, kayak or whatever you do, so show a little respect and try TEACHING skills, ADVOCATE the skiers code and receving training and try SMILING at the wonderful people - the tourism dollars that are spent at ANY ski resort in this state provide for the towns we live in, the roads we drive on and the businesses that keep us here - unless you have a trust fund to spend - maybe that's how you can afford being "core" and living in the mountains? I have bills to pay and a gas tank to answer to, so I will spend my time at the Vail resorts on I70, Loveland, WP, Copper and Eldora and I will be sure to smile at the people, even if they are still learning. And I will do that on the weekends, since I have a regular job and have to be at the office at least 40 hours a week. If you want a lesson, let me know - I am a very patient teacher. I remember when I knew nothing about skiing - and the awesome people who taught me how to ski. What do you remember - how awesome YOU are?
My condolences to the family of the young man from CU who died recently.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I bet that Ture is the same guy that gets his pass pulled for going too fast or ducking ropes, and then has beers with Dingle to discuss how all ski patrollers are dicks. Very articulate arguments from the both of them.

·
Super Moderator
2,865 Posts
and to think that I thought this was going to be about waxing to carry speed on the cat roads.

Try switching to decaf. More weed than alcohol and don't go out to play when the loonies are out. If it's full time all the time, try a different spot. Maybe even one that doesn't ****gasp**** have high speed quads. Your kids might like to see you a little more relaxed.

If none of that works than you might try CHILLING THE FUCK OUT.

That's all i have.

·
Registered
418 Posts
As you become more familiar with early season skiing in colorado, you will discover that this is the norm. Lots of people are chomping at the bit to go skiing, but most areas only have a handful of runs open.

As a parent, your kids are your responsibility...they are not the responsibility of the people who are going 200 mph on a cat track. Obviously, you see the danger and now, as a responsible parent, you should avoid taking your child into the dangerous situation or accept the risks.

To take to the buzz and think this will rectify the situation is unrealistic. Put your kids safety first and your job as unofficial ski patrol/policeman second.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
As a parent, your kids are your responsibility...they are not the responsibility of the people who are going 200 mph on a cat track. Obviously, you see the danger and now, as a responsible parent, you should avoid taking your child into the dangerous situation or accept the risks.

To take to the buzz and think this will rectify the situation is unrealistic. Put your kids safety first and your job as unofficial ski patrol/policeman second.
Actually, the buzz (snowriders) is probably an ideal forum to discuss snow riding issues in our local society. The entire point of a forum is to discuss everything in and around the sports of skiing and snowboarding. If more people were aware that this is an issue, it might not be an issue. Just because you feel that everyone in Colorado already knows that people riding too fast is an issue doesn't mean that we should then tell the youth that, "hey, skiing is great, but since I have to let you risk your life to participate then you can't, because in order to be a responsible parent I have to keep you away from uncontrollable risks."

Plenty of us enjoy riding fast. As a knuckle dragger that hates getting stuck on cat tracks, I understand the need to maintain speed, and have pissed off or scared more than a few people over the years. When it comes to speed enforcement, most patrollers can tell the difference between someone hauling ass at the edge of their ability, and someone hauling ass that is in complete control and could stop quickly. As a parent, I get a bit nervous when people go hauling ass by my daughter, but just as concerning and problematic is when my daughter gets nervous and starts making wider turns than others. I've spent plenty of time riding behind her as a blocker from all of the crazies. In short, people that ride out of control are assholes that put others in risk. People that ride in control can and do occasionally get in the way, or haul ass by you, but they are taking the responsibility of being in control, and for that it's worth just chilling out and sharing. More parents could use some time in the hut.

The mountain resident vs front range is hilarious shit talking at times, and at other times people are complete assholes. Max was the man, and thus was thoroughly enjoying his job and time on the front range when he authored GoBackToTheFrontRange . com to make fun of gapers and yuppies and anyone else who thought they were cool. I'm more native and local to Colorado than the majority of you mountain folk (admittedly I spent a year of elementary school in Farmington, NM, so you might have me beat). I live in downtown Denver because its a great city to live in and I like some aspects of city life. I dig the outdoors and sports so much that I recreate in the mountains all of the time and clog up I-70 every weekend during the winter. This winter I plan on parking my POS ski van (yeah bitches) in front of your summit county condo like I own the place, and it will be even more obvious that I'm not as local as you, just sicker. And proud to represent from Colorado and Denver. See you in the lift line.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Cutch,

You can park your POS van in front of my house up here in Breck any day of the week... I'll even buy you a beer or two. But I'm gonna have to ponder whether or not I will share my secret pow stashes with a knuckle-dragger. :cool:

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Hell yea Mark! It will be like old times but better. Instead of being the guy on your couch I'll be the guy with the van in your driveway. Let's talk about these powder stashes of yours over a beer.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts