Mountain Buzz banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
For what it is worth, my normal multi-day setup is two GSI 12's.

On the other hand a GSI 14 really comes in handy when on a layover day I cook a brisket for dinner. Depending on the size and menus of the trip I toss a GSI 14 with one of the zipper covers in the gear bag.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Yeah Shapp and MT, I have had ideas about trivets running through my brain like squirrels.

I’ve got a Miller 211 MIG welder. I’ve mostly used it to work on my raft trailers. It’s supposed to be able to do stainless and aluminum. I’ve never welded with those metals. Just mild steel. I suppose I could try something. I think I’ve got some 3/8 or 1/4” stainless rod at home. I’d really like to buy or fabricate something that won’t rust.

I like Cowboy Kent’s idea about the trivet with bolts. Now I just need to make one out of stainless.

Okie, I use the 14” a lot. Last trip we made biscuits one night, ribs the next. I like the brisket idea.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Briskets turn out really good in a 14 GSI as plenty of room for a big brisket.

I do a rub on the brisket
Slice up a big onion in thick slices to line bottom of DO
Cover with Dr Pepper then a can or so of Chipotle peppers in Adobo Sauce on top of the meat.
Some liquid smoke if I have it (I know the purist types are upset with me, but it is a river trip. Most people cannot tell the taste difference between a smoker and the DO versions.

Normally I end up with a ton of sauce which makes a great topping for the baked taters.

And cook away, depending on a lot of things more charcoals will be added. Will take multiple hours to cook, hence layover day is the time for this. While others are out hiking, the cook is setting in a chair enjoying drinks of choice from the hikers coolers.

I do some green beans and baked Idaho's in another DO

and you got one heck of a good dinner

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Yeah Shapp and MT, I have had ideas about trivets running through my brain like squirrels.

I’ve got a Miller 211 MIG welder. I’ve mostly used it to work on my raft trailers. It’s supposed to be able to do stainless and aluminum. I’ve never welded with those metals. Just mild steel. I suppose I could try something. I think I’ve got some 3/8 or 1/4” stainless rod at home. I’d really like to buy or fabricate something that won’t rust.
Nice! MM210 here. Buddy has a spool gun and my Argon tank, but I've never tried to do aluminum. I may borrow it this summer to try to replicate a Partner toilet.

I've done SS with a 5# SS spool in the welder (no spool gun), and it fed fine. My C25 mix worked OK, but SS is very "sticky" to weld. Had a hard time getting good flow. I also understand you can use regular ES70 wire to weld SS, but the weld will flash rust.

If you've got the ability to fab, I'll give you a very simple design. I use 1/4", and there are no exposed ends that can poke or scrape...I'll post pics this weekend. I use mild steel and either oil or wax it hot, rust is really not much of an issue.

Briskets turn out really good in a 14 GSI as plenty of room for a big brisket.

I do a rub on the brisket
Slice up a big onion in thick slices to line bottom of DO
Cover with Dr Pepper then a can or so of Chipotle peppers in Adobo Sauce on top of the meat.
Some liquid smoke if I have it (I know the purist types are upset with me, but it is a river trip. Most people cannot tell the taste difference between a smoker and the DO versions.

That's awesome...I do carnitas with a pork roast in my DO with Adobo sauce...

and also do baked pork chops with the onion slices on the bottom. Quick fry apple and onion slices in butter in the DO while you quick grill the chops just to get some caramelization and grill marks.. Then layer the onions/apples/chops. As you've quick-grilled the chops, they start getting warm and don't take super long in the DO. Then reduce the leftover juice a bit and pour it over the chops/onions/apples when you serve.

Speaking of which, I need to build a small grill/trivet so I can cook a couple steaks or burgers over the briquettes on my DO while a cake/dessert cooks inside.

(Not putting hte briquettes in the DO like this pic, but to have a grill over the DO lid)

Attachments

·
Registered
403 Posts
That's a good idea on the DO lid grill. Perhaps that can be my next project. I’ve got a spare round grill in my garage. Maybe I'll leave the welder out and fabricate that tomorrow. I think the design of the trivet would transfer to the grill easily.

I stopped by Home Depot and bought some stainless hardware for my trivet. I built it with my kids after work. I'm not very good at welding, but it's good enough.

I copied the design of Cowboy Kent with the nuts welded to it. I didn't have any stainless horseshoes, but I had a little stainless steel rod I cut up.

Here are the pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
The best way to carry a cast iron Dutch oven is..........on someone else's boat!! :mrgreen:

Seriously, I put mine in a dutch oven bag I got from Sportsman's Warehouse. The 12" bag is perfect for two 10" hard anodized aluminum Dutch ovens and a 14" bag will fit two 12" aluminum ovens plus the two 10" ovens all nestled together. The whole bunch weighs less that one 12" cast iron oven. :)

A lot of times if they don't make it in a dry box, I'll throw the dutch oven bag in with the rest of the dunnage on the boat. The bag keeps them clean and you can run a strap through the handles. No rust if they get wet because they are NOT cast iron.

For charcoal I take an ammo can for the ashes and fill it with 1 gal. zip lock bags of charcoal premeasured out for the ovens with a couple of extras in each bag. 24 coals a bag for each 10" oven and 28 a bag for each 12" oven per use. I have an old black sealine 55 dry bag I use for extra bags of charcoal if it's a long multi day trip.

I'm a big fan of using tiki torches for site lighting at night. I burn diesel in them and use the diesel to start the charcoal if I forget to bring the lighter fluid. ;)
Me too big fan.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
That's a good idea on the DO lid grill. Perhaps that can be my next project. I’ve got a spare round grill in my garage. Maybe I'll leave the welder out and fabricate that tomorrow. I think the design of the trivet would transfer to the grill easily.

I stopped by Home Depot and bought some stainless hardware for my trivet. I built it with my kids after work. I'm not very good at welding, but it's good enough.

I copied the design of Cowboy Kent with the nuts welded to it. I didn't have any stainless horseshoes, but I had a little stainless steel rod I cut up.

Here are the pics.
Didn't see your reply a couple of years ago. Thanks to the spammer for bumping the thread.
The biner and the eyebolts are brilliant. Also dig the bent DO lid handle.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Yes, and for those that find this thread in the future... If you aren't cutting the legs off as suggested earlier in this thread you're doing it wrong! Lasagna oven, to ramen pot, to spaghetti sauce pot, breakfast sausage skillet...you get the idea. All you need are a few DO's...without legs!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
For my flat bottom dutches, I took three pieces of 2" angle iron, cut to the length of a regular dutch oven's stubby legs, and positioned them standing on end to achieve the desired height over the coals. Simple, easy to store, and cheap.

Rich Phillips

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Yes, and for those that find this thread in the future... If you aren't cutting the legs off as suggested earlier in this thread you're doing it wrong! Lasagna oven, to ramen pot, to spaghetti sauce pot, breakfast sausage skillet...you get the idea. All you need are a few DO's...without legs!
This is the way.

I've cut the legs off my dutchies, too. They're so much more useful when they can do double-duty on your camp stove.
Just add a trivet like DrAndy or RichP suggest

They also work at home without legs for stovetop or inside your home oven...great for pot roasts, braising, really great chewy bread, carnitas, beans, soup...

41 - 53 of 53 Posts