Mountain Buzz banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Here is a picture of my dutch ovens new home.. I posted a link to this box earlier. I have my 12in GSI dutch with a 10 nested inside.. inside the 10in is a trivet, a dutch scrapper and a piece of chain mail. My dutch grabber and tongs fit along side the dutch.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

Attachments

·
Registered
403 Posts
I run em in a DO bag. It’s black nylon, with carry handles. The 10” goes in the 12” and they go in one bag. The 14” goes in its bag. The charcoal chimney, blanket, and tongs go in the fire pan. They get thrown in the bottom of my pacific river everything bag. They get wet. No problem. They’re anodized aluminum. The charcoal gets packed in an old dry bag or a dry box. I have the folding, stAinless chimney and use a woodland power stove to light it.

Attachments

·
Shapp
1,871 Posts
I couldn't open the link without being a member, but I do the same.

Also makes the DO functional on a stovetop or in the oven at home.
Ok then, repeated for public benefit, if you cut off the legs and use a trivet, a dutch oven works just as good for all purposes, plus works even better on a stove without the legs and packs better in a dry box or dry bag. Use a wire trivet when cooking in traditional dutch oven mode on coals to take the place of the integrated legs. The trivet just fits inside the DO for storage or in your fire pan bag. We use small wire trivets for the river, there are several different type, some that fold up some that don't.

I have been using a GSI aluminum 10" dutch oven forever to cook on a camp stove and also use for regular dutch oven cooking with fire/coals on small trips with 2 to 4 people for for a smaller pot/DO with a few more people. The 10" GSI dutch oven does not have integrated legs, which is great because the flat bottom fits on the stove better and you can just use a trivet when using with coals. If you aren't familiar with a trivet, its just a wire stand that elevates the dutch oven off the ground when using coals on the bottom, serving the same purpose as integrated legs.

I bought a 12" GIS dutch oven to use as a larger pot and large DO this summer to help support some larger group trips (to make food for 16 people with the Rome combo cooker and new 12" DO). The GSI dutch ovens larger than the 10" all have integrated cast legs. I decided to just cut them off with a saws-all to make a flat pot bottom for easier use on the camp stove and just use a trivet when using on the fire/coals. This was a great idea. Took about 5 minutes to cut off the 3 legs and do a little file work. After cooking with this on 3 trips (John Day, Grande Ronde, and MF Salmon last summer) as both a pot on the stove and on the coals with a trivet, I have come to the conclusion that there is absolutely no reason to have legs on the bigger GSI aluminum dutch ovens, they actually are a lot more versatile without the integrated legs. They also pack up a lot better in the dry box and save space by not having the legs. The 10" also nests inside the 12".

12" with the legs cut off:

To demonstrate how well a trivet works, I don't think I have ever seen cowboy kent rollins rely on the legs on his dutch ovens to cook on a fire, he always uses a trivet instead and he cooks for a living (though the legs aren't cut off, they are not actually used). Up side down pizza for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG_hmFqSLsg

·
Registered
403 Posts
Ok Shapp,
I never thought I’d profane a DO by amputating it’s legs off, but I’ll bite. If you cut the legs off a GSI 12”, will it nest in a GSI 14”? I have all three GSI DO’s: 10”,12”&14”. I’m really tempted by the thought of being able to “Russian doll” all 3 sizes of my Dutch ovens. I already nest the 10” in the 12”. And like you said, I’ve learned to deal with the legless 10”. Is there any way you could test your oven in a 14”? I’d hate to cut my 12”’s legs off and find it didn’t work.

However, I don’t think I would ever cut the legs off of the 14”. The little wire trivet made by GSI is just to small to support the bigger oven. But, having all three in the same bag...mighty enticing.

P.S. the 12” we’re talking about is special to me. I started rafting because of it. I went looking for an DO and a BLM approved firepan and blanket for Scout camping. The only place in town that carried a firepan was Cascade River Gear. I had no idea, walking into that store, I was stepping down the rabbit hole. The rest is history.

·
Shapp
1,871 Posts
I don't have a 14". You got one, if you are a real doctor, I assume you can use a measuring tape :)

There are a bunch of trivets out there, not just the small wire trivets I use. There are trivets for 14" ovens.

Sometimes if you just keep telling yourself the same thing you start to believe it and it must be true.

A DO needs legs, a DO needs legs, a DO needs legs.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Dutch ovens in the drop bag load. Charcoal bags in a rocket box that is also the organics/ash can. You can just put a beer box on top of the orgo/ash and put the charcoal bags right back in that can for a few days. By the time you start filling up on orgo/ash, you should have used up your charcoal. Definitely do not put charcoal in your dry box it will stink everything up.
I light my charcoal, if I am not using match light, on my fire grate over the blaster.

Cheers and have a safe and happy 2019 boating season!

Pedro

·
Registered
46 Posts
I put Dutches in a old drybag then in the drop bag, dutches don 't care if they get wet. charcoal and ash in the same drybag in different trash bags and in the dropbag. I have a couple pizza tins for cooking on and a wind screen which go in with my firepan. I don't use a chimney but the collapse ones look serviceable. mostly I try not to plan meals with dutches on shorter trips due to the weight and time to cook stuff. on longer trips with layover days and more time to cook is when I take em along. doing dutch deserts is easy cause you can cook dessert while eating but using em for the main course I like to reserve for the layover day or short mileage day.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I don't have a 14". You got one, if you are a real doctor, I assume you can use a measuring tape 🙂

There are a bunch of trivets out there, not just the small wire trivets I use. There are trivets for 14" ovens.

Sometimes if you just keep telling yourself the same thing you start to believe it and it must be true.

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!!

Shapp.
So I took out one of my 12” GSI DO’s and after measuring, it looked good to fit inside the 14” GSI DO. I cut off the legs. But, it didn’t nest inside the 14” because the tabs on the side that hold the bail stuck out too far. So, I had to grind those down a little. Then the lid handle on the 12” stuck up to far and wouldn’t let the 14” lid close. I could have flipped the lid upside down like I do when nesting my 10” in my 12”, but the the 10” lid was in the way and the handle of the 12” was bumping into that. So I heated up the lid handle with my torch and bent it over 90°.

Now I have a set of Russian DOlls. The trifecta. 3 DO’s a 10”, 12”, and a 14” that all nest perfectly inside each other and the lid on the 14” closes perfectly. I left the legs on the 14”. Not ready to take that step yet.

Thanks for the idea. I never would’ve thought of cutting the legs off a DO in a million years. I’ve included pics of the mods I did to the 12” to make it nest.

By the way, is the trivet in my pic the same one you use to support your legless 12” DO? I guess I’m going to need to figure that out now.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Are you still able to hook the handle of the 12 with a dutch oven grabber tool? The only real plus of the legs on my 12 is that they will fit in the notches to lock into my wooland power stove. I avoided the 14 because it did not nest. This opens up possibilities.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Are you still able to hook the handle of the 12 with a dutch oven grabber tool? The only real plus of the legs on my 12 is that they will fit in the notches to lock into my wooland power stove. I avoided the 14 because it did not nest. This opens up possibilities.

Cody,
Yes, the lid lifter will pick up the lid with no problems. I use the Mair lid lifter. I bend its legs in a little, so it fits in the dry box better. I don’t know how it would work with other lifters like the lodge or a hammer.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
I love where this thread has gone.

However, I don’t think I would ever cut the legs off of the 14”. The little wire trivet made by GSI is just to small to support the bigger oven. But, having all three in the same bag...mighty enticing.

Cool bit about getting into boating by stumbling into CRG.

I'd wager that once you start using the 12" DO on the stove that you'll be tempted to chop the legs on the 14" DO.

Besides, Partner's square DO's don't have legs :twisted:

I uploaded a few pics. You're limited only by your imagination, and if you have a friend with a welder, you can make one from scrap in under an hour.

:mrgreen:

Attachments

·
Shapp
1,871 Posts
CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!!

By the way, is the trivet in my pic the same one you use to support your legless 12” DO? I guess I’m going to need to figure that out now.
Nice! I am glad I inspired you. You just saved a pretty good amount of space in your dry box for extra bottles of whiskey. That appears to be a similar or the same wire trivet I use. I also have some foldable trivets. If you have a welder, you can also tack on some large nuts on to what ever you come up with for a grate (like the horse shoe trivet), but instead of fixed rebar legs you just tack a nut on each corner and use a large bolt for the legs. Then you can take it apart and it will lay flatter for stowage. Kent Rollins shows the horseshoe trivet with the removable bolt legs at the end of this video. He also has them for sale if you want a bigger one for your big 14".
https://kentrollins.com/shop-1/Horseshoe-Dutch-Oven-Trivet-p84994751

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csQd7wRYyNc

21 - 40 of 53 Posts