Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe a stupid question:

If you take your dutch oven on a trip, where do you store it? Dry box? Dry bag? Also, do you use a chimney starter for charcoal? Was looking at the collapsible firebox stoves. Where do you store your charcoal? Just wondering. Thanks all.

And yes, I know, pack out your ashes! :cool:

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
396 Posts
For me I put my dutches in one of my dry boxes. I don't use a chimney to start coals, have never really needed to. Most of the time i make a fire in my firepan and put the grate on top and dump some coals onto the grate. Once they are ready I use them for whatever I'm cooking. I normally store charcoal initially inside the ashcan, and then move to a sealed gamma bucket. I don't like putting it inside my drybox with any food for obvious reasons. I have put charcoal in my drybox that is basically an equipment box,but it's not ideal.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I take aluminum dutches on the river.. they go in my drybox most of the time... i recently bought this plastic ammo box to free up space in my drybox.. https://www.murdochs.com/products/s.../ammo/ammo-boxes/murdochs-plastic-ammo-crate/ not sure i would put cast iron in the plastic box as its not 100% dry .. charcoal goes in an ammo can or gamma seal bucket... just light charcoal on one side of the firepan and cook with dutches on the other.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
381 Posts
A wise friend showed me a trick on a MFS trip. Pick up some of the one (?) two (?) gallon, food service, screw top mustard or Mayo jars from any sub shop. These hold quite a bit of charcoal and once screwed shut, can be stored most anywhere - dry box, ammo can, even dry bag. They really help to contain the charcoal dust.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Dutch oven in drybox. I pack the collapsible chimney, torch, and charcoal in a ammo-can that I also store ashes. I use a piece of cardboard as a divider and clean it all out when I get home. Chimney and torch are great on trips with high fire danger or it is too stinking hot to have a fire.
This method only works if I am not the sole source for packing out ashes. If it is a small trip we usually burn the fire down enough that it works as the only ash container. I use a SAW/FAT 50 cal ammo can.

·
Registered
66 Posts
12" aluminum dutch that is perfectly sized to sit on top of a home depot bucket. I strap two buckets (wash system) with the dutch on top. Cross two loop straps through the lid, carefully, and then run it near the top of my gear pile. Run other straps over the gear and sometimes have a ****** clipped through the bucket handles and a strap holding everything else down. Even easier if you have room up front or somewhere else on the rig. Yes, the straps that hold everything together can come loose, but never to the point where it was an issue. Ran this way down the grand and several other trips.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Charcoal usually goes in a trashbag inside a dedicated rolltop drybag. Anodized aluminum ovens sit on a 1/4" plywood trivet inside the 12" skillet they nest with. Whole stack goes into either the drybox, or the big oval shaped SOTAR kitchen bag. Ashes get packed into the camp's trashbag which is ususally sealed up in an ammo box that had that camp's food in it. Or into a dedicated trash drybag.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Good stuff in this thread.

Only thing I can add is this.

I was one of several gear rafts on a kayaker Grand Canyon permit. The gear boat TL was a long time boater. Very detail oriented person. I carried DO's and he prepared the charcoal. What he did was fill a zip loc bag with the proper count of charcoals for each DO use. If memory correct I put my allotment of zip locs in a big standard (not Bill's Bag style) bag and stored them in my dry box with other gear. Worked great.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts

I was one of several gear rafts on a kayaker Grand Canyon permit. The gear boat TL was a long time boater. Very detail oriented person. I carried DO's and he prepared the charcoal. What he did was fill a zip loc bag with the proper count of charcoals for each DO use. If memory correct I put my allotment of zip locs in a big standard (not Bill's Bag style) bag and stored them in my dry box with other gear. Worked great.

No waste, no mess, no fuss...…………...Brilliant and a real time saver in the camp kitchen :)

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
The best way to carry a cast iron Dutch oven is..........on someone else's boat!! :mrgreen:

Seriously, I put mine in a dutch oven bag I got from Sportsman's Warehouse. The 12" bag is perfect for two 10" hard anodized aluminum Dutch ovens and a 14" bag will fit two 12" aluminum ovens plus the two 10" ovens all nestled together. The whole bunch weighs less that one 12" cast iron oven. :)

A lot of times if they don't make it in a dry box, I'll throw the dutch oven bag in with the rest of the dunnage on the boat. The bag keeps them clean and you can run a strap through the handles. No rust if they get wet because they are NOT cast iron.

For charcoal I take an ammo can for the ashes and fill it with 1 gal. zip lock bags of charcoal premeasured out for the ovens with a couple of extras in each bag. 24 coals a bag for each 10" oven and 28 a bag for each 12" oven per use. I have an old black sealine 55 dry bag I use for extra bags of charcoal if it's a long multi day trip.

I'm a big fan of using tiki torches for site lighting at night. I burn diesel in them and use the diesel to start the charcoal if I forget to bring the lighter fluid. ;)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Al 10" and 12" DOs in 16" DO carrier with two oil pans, one for firepan other for stand. Tongs and lid stand in carrier as well. This is transported on tail or in drop bag. Charcoal in 2 or 5 gallon gamma seal, depending on trip needs. Collapsible chimmeny in kitchen box. Using a chimney on a burner will have charcoal ready for cooking in less than 10 mins

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
Start your charcoal on a burner. I've done it both in a chimney and carefully stacked directly on the burner. I need to make a small charcoal basket that would be easier to set on the burner to contain charcoal.

I typically carry my charcoal in a trash compactor bag in an old drybag. Trash compactor bag and old drybag then become trash bags.

Dutch ovens in the drybox, mostly because I have the space. You can get a cast iron DO wet. A week on the river won't kill it. Just don't store it wet all year.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
i use a repurposed square shaped tidy cats kitty litter (new/fresh) container fits in my 16x16 drybox and holds enough charcoal (always the real mesquite wood stuff from cash&carry)

I have a lot of drybox space but if I have to I'll just place in a large drybag and throw it in the barney bag.

·
Registered
118 Posts

Hmmm sounds like a couple of guys I know here in Arkansas. Pre-planning per meal and all that. I'm a big fan of "cover the top of the DO with briquettes" and let it go(unless baking a delicate dessert thing)

1 - 20 of 53 Posts