Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't decide and too lazy to search. Can we revisit this topic again???

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
If you drain the DO you'll have more room inside to fit your cat.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More kitty casserole!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Boring Summer huh?

Seriously though, since you started the topic, I don't own a D.O. Are they really awesome like everyone says? When we're rafting we try to keep dinners simple. Can you share any insight on D. O. cooking and if I should get one or not? Thanks

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
If you have the time (2-5 hours, including prep and cooking) and don't mind carrying cast iron, meals from Dutch oven cookery are great!

·
The Old Troll
458 Posts
Cast iron dutch ovens should be drained but aluminum ones should not be drained or is it the other way around?

·
Plunk your magic twanger!
1,256 Posts
Dutch ovens are for more than just cooking, I've taken mine to bed with me! On a cold, wet Deso trip, when I lost the zippers on my rain fly and tent door, I put rocks heated in the coals of the firepan inside the ovens. I left the lids ajar and draped my sleeping bag over them. They stayed nice and warm while I dozed off. I'm very fond of them.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
They rock, and the iron ones weigh as much as a rock. The recipes can be easy, with precooked meat so you just dump it all in and go, or elaborate and time consuming. I picked up a great white lasagna recipe from the buzz, and by precooking the meat and using fresh ravioli, it is easy. Plus, we often use do's in lieu of fry pans, so the kitchen box is more efficient.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did my first dutch oven dessert cobbler this weekend. It was the cherry peach yellow cake someone recommended. Comments/observations:

1) anodized aluminum is IMO the ONLY way to go. Lightweight and smooth inner surface was easy to clean without soaking etc

2) the yellow cake peach cherry cobbler was good and served a ton of peeps and was easy to make but left me wanting for something better. The ingredients were expensive (even for winco) and i thought a specialized crumb crust (butter and sugar based) would have tasted better. Next time gonna experiment with something that requires more prep but is cheaper to make (and less cans)

3) gonna try my wives Bbq pan pizza sometime. It uses a cornmeal based bread for the crust and toppings get premade on the frying pan

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
My favorite do dessert is a cobbler made with a "crumb cake" mix and a can of berries. Pack along some yogurt for topping and wow!

·
Registered
461 Posts
I premake a lot of stuff before leaving the house and use it to reheat or bake things. My favorite is DO enchiladas! Plus if your scared of running your no stick seasoning use DO liners...I love them. You can flip the lid and make perfect pancakes too! Cast iron rules. If you don't have a DO....your missing out on a big part of river side food!!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Dutch ovens are for more than just cooking, I've taken mine to bed with me! On a cold, wet Deso trip, when I lost the zippers on my rain fly and tent door, I put rocks heated in the coals of the firepan inside the ovens. I left the lids ajar and draped my sleeping bag over them. They stayed nice and warm while I dozed off. I'm very fond of them.
I have to say that I am very found of my rocks also.

If you are taking 2-5 hours for a dutch oven meal on the river then you are doing it wrong. I can do DO lasagne in 1 1/2 hours. 45 min. prep, and 45 minutes cook.
Desserts should take 1 hour including prep.
Aluminum is the best way to go.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts