Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So - no charcoal, no wood, no burning during fire ban but I want to use my dutch over. What ideas do folks have.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Volcano cook grills makes a flame retardant hood. I've used a metal disk as a heat diffuser on top of a stove, then the dutch oven and then covered with the hood. You don't need much heat for this to work and it is easy to burn the bottom but they work.

Lid Product Page

·
Registered
984 Posts
It's all about generating top heat. Perhaps a hood or shroud around it, but you need a heat source above. Heating rocks up prior to cooking may work, but beware the sedimentary types as they tend to explode, use schist and/or granite.

Please advise if you come up with something that works...

·
Registered
540 Posts
Crank up the blaster and preheat your lid for a while, then cover in sand? Could get messy, but should retain a decent amount of heat.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
As a foodie and someone who thoroughly enjoys DO cooking on the river I am guessing any creative solution is bound to create uneven temperatures and poor results. I know there are chemical heating tools out there (MRE, trek mates) but I believe you lose a lot of their heat production if the system is not sealed.

Phillip

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Volcano cook grills makes a flame retardant hood. I've used a metal disk as a heat diffuser on top of a stove, then the dutch oven and then covered with the hood. You don't need much heat for this to work and it is easy to burn the bottom but they work.

Lid Product Page
I've seen one of these used before and it worked great for making a cake.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I've made bread with mine, but the lid needs to be on to create moisture/steam for the crust. with a cake you may be able to leave the lid off. How did you use it???

·
Registered
362 Posts
So We just got word today from the Rangers at Corn Creek, Main Salmon that Charcoal cooking is permitted during the ban. Is there conflicting info?

Sent from my SM-G530T using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have taken to using a "Dutch Oven Dome" by Camp Chef. Looks very similar to the hood of the Volcano grill, but is used with the diffuser plate on a camp stove. Works well enough that I rarely use charcoal any more.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I've made bread with mine, but the lid needs to be on to create moisture/steam for the crust. with a cake you may be able to leave the lid off. How did you use it???
I'm not sure if the lid was off or on.....but the cake turned out great.;)

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Sounds like I will be eating my words...

Anyone use a thermometer to check temperatures? I have heat diffusers before so I understand their benefit but curious about temp differences between top and bottom of domed device.

Phillip

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So we know what the briquette to temp conversion is but what is the dome conversion? I assume there are instructions with the dome. Folks use the blaster or just a stove?

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
DO feedback

Would appreciate more feedback on the Camp Chef Dome system.

Not having to carry bags of charcoal on trips would be a really good thing for us DO cooks.

dave

·
Super Moderator
2,900 Posts
Crank up the blaster and preheat your lid for a while, then cover in sand? Could get messy, but should retain a decent amount of heat.
I can say from personal experience that aluminum DO lids will melt on a burner. And it was a Partner not a blaster. Be careful. With iron you could get it glowing hot and do a decent job without charcoal methinks.

So We just got word today from the Rangers at Corn Creek, Main Salmon that Charcoal cooking is permitted during the ban. Is there conflicting info?
On the river they do often do this in stages. Meaning no wood fires, to charcoal only to propane only, to you are not allowed to bring matches on your trip.

When do you go?

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can say from personal experience that aluminum DO lids will melt on a burner. And it was a Partner not a blaster. Be careful. With iron you could get it glowing hot and do a decent job without charcoal methinks.

On the river they do often do this in stages. Meaning no wood fires, to charcoal only to propane only, to you are not allowed to bring matches on your trip.

When do you go?
What kind of burner did you put your Al dutch oven lid on? Our Al DO is anodized Al and I'm pretty sure it's melting point is north of 1200F.

·
Caw! Caw!
66 Posts

When do you go?
I'm the one that called and asked about the ban (I'm on that trip roster). The ranger I spoke with put me on hold to double check the regulation; when he came back to the phone, he said, "No problem, go ahead and use charcoal." He was pretty nonchalant about it, which surprised me somewhat.

We head out for Corn Creek on Tuesday, launch on Wednesday. I'm going to call back on Monday and ask again, just to be sure. I'd hate to get up there and have to re-think menus and such.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have used Domes over the years with an old set up called an outback oven. They worked really well when the alternative was no top heat, but they don't actually generate top heat and they don't work anywhere near as well as charcoal. Heating the lid as hot as you can might not work and could just burn the crap out of the top of your food.

Good Luck.

Tom

·
Super Moderator
2,900 Posts
What kind of burner did you put your Al dutch oven lid on? Our Al DO is anodized Al and I'm pretty sure it's melting point is north of 1200F.
Anodized should be slightly higher melting point. The one we ruined was regular aluminum. We were checking it regularly and it went from looking fine to dripping into the 4 burner Partner in about .0002 seconds.

YMMV.

Quick google shows temp of propane burners above 2K.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Anodized should be slightly higher melting point. The one we ruined was regular aluminum. We were checking it regularly and it went from looking fine to dripping into the 4 burner Partner in about .0002 seconds.

YMMV.

Quick google shows temp of propane burners above 2K.
The theoretical max temp of a propane flame is about 3600F, but that's an adiabatic measure assuming zero heat loss to atmosphere and a perfect gas mixture. In reality, you're likely seeing flame in the 600-1500F range from a blaster, depending on the setting.

This site has a bit of a breakdown of tests on open flames, and they noted: "In a related study, Ingason and de Ris [10] found typical flame tip temperatures of 400°C for burner flames of propane, propylene, and carbon monoxide fuels."

Temperatures in flames and fires

I'm probably reading that wrong and missing something, but given the variability in air temp, wind, etc, I'd say that a low BTU burn to heat an anodized DO lid should be fine, just don't leave it on the flame for an hour.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
If I remember right, when my wife accidentally warped our cast iron skillet on the glass top stove in our house, it wasn't unusual to generate heat in excess of 650F from such a setup with no food in the utensil. Never knew that until last year.

Good to have a vague range of temperatures a gas stove can theoretically create.

Phillip

1 - 20 of 34 Posts