Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone interested in running any such places? Or nearby places not aforementioned? All summer, tomorrow on out, i can float most any day, most anywhere i can drive to within a few hours.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Would you be interested in the Dolores Bradley Bridge to Colorado River? 170 miles. It will probably take 5 days. I have a cattaraft and am looking for other boaters. This year might be the last it can be run.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would be very interested. My girlfriend and i have a packraft. I think it would be sufficient for us both and our puppies(2) if you (or someone) could carry half our stuff(or my puppies, or girlfriend).Or puppies can be left. Any date/dates in mind? Why might it be the last year it can be run?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I can carry half your stuff. Put in on the 27th. Take out June 1 or 2. We will have to do 30 miles a day unless you can spend more days on the river . The reservoir upstream diverts most of the flow. The river was unfloatable for 8 years. More irrigation use in the future will leave even less discharge. Call me at 970-739-3353 tomorrow after 7:00.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would like too, but don't have the funds to float this soon. Will the discharge decrease too much to run in the next month or so? Plan to run it again if so?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Krypto,
If there's still water on the Dolores next week, I could do a trip starting Sunday the 5th.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sorry guys - have another trip this weekend. The 5th is the earliest I could launch on the Dolores. Sounds like there won't be releases that long - but who knows. . .

·
Registered
40 Posts
krypto: Much thanks for the release info.

In my experience, you need ~600cfs at slickrock gauge to comfortably float a 12'. Had slight trouble with a 16' cat at ~800cfs about 8 yrs ago (bradfield to bedrock).

IMO, those lousy sheep and bean farmers need to move somewhere else with water and Mcphee needs to be torn down. YMMV.

EDIT: Keep in mind, this river would hit ~7,000cfs pre-Mcphee (1985).

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As much as i want to, i cannot. Too long of a trip for the funds i have available at the moment. Dunno how i would get back from so far. Sounds like an amazing trip that i may never have another chance to float, but maybe next year, if the climate stays strange. Have Fun!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Piedra on Friday?

Hey-- would you be interested in running the Piedra tomorrow? I'm in Durango for a few days. I'm a solid IV+ boater. Cheers, Lauren

719-440-8342

·
A Political Theorist
239 Posts
Bean Farmers

krypto: Much thanks for the release info.

IMO, those lousy sheep and bean farmers need to move somewhere else with water and Mcphee needs to be torn down. YMMV.

EDIT: Keep in mind, this river would hit ~7,000cfs pre-Mcphee (1985).
Please don't blame the dryland bean farmers. Many fought against the Dolores Project as hard or harder than the boating and enviro communities.

As you float, please do cast copious blame on Recthenation, agribusiness (esp. alfalfa), and all other forms of state-sponsored water buffaloism that currently control Colorado's rivers. But many of the pinto bean farmers recognized a federal boondoggle/water grab when they saw one and deserve a boater's best wishes for standing up and speaking out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts