Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be in the Durango area next week end . Is thare any good play spots or short runs that I can run solo. May be some park and play. Are the flows good now.

·
Renaissance *******
1,359 Posts
Youre never alone on the town run
Smelter is about the only thing with any features to it at this level though

·
Registered
8 Posts
Weel, if its this weekend you mean, we have CO cup here for rodeo, downriver, and slalom... yeah, but you might be able to find some time to boat at smelter if you don't want to do that...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is Smelter? How could you compare the features to the Golden Whitewater Park or Shoshone, and could you give me directions? Basically I would like a wave to do some spins on, and a hole for kartwheels. Is is good enough for a few hours of play? Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Smelter is a class III wave. I only really know the DGO/Farmington NM area w/rivers so... CO cup probably will make life hard on playboaters until the rodeo (2 pm saturday) because all of the slalom boaters are out there getting ready for their race but our locals are still out there playboating. there is a chance to use it today because there is a downriver race today starting @ smelter. According to the boaters down here from golden, the water moves faster. We have flows between 1000 cfs and 1500 cfs right now... yeah

You could probably do all you wanted on smelter right now

if your coming down through silverton - Once you hit DGO, go all the way through town to like Southwest white water/Buger King, there will be a really weird intersection, go right and get on Camino del Rio . After the light by Wells Fargo/Albertsons/Double Tree, keep going straight, you'll be able to see the waste water treatment plant (sadly, in the park) and at one point you'll be able to see everything up to smelter.

If coming through moab/cortez - once you hit the light by double tree, take a right and follow directions below

Both - At the next light by the park hang a right and go into the parking lot behind the train engine. once you're there, you can walk up. Smelter is just below the weird little anouncers stand and is the furthest wave up that you can get to w/o leaving the park. The waves below are also pretty good, the one after smelter, center wave, is harder to get into, but the one below there, Corner pocet is pretty good.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
59 Posts
Confused, what are the details to the downriver race? Are there different divisions? Will it be everyone at once or just timed?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts