Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I apologize, I have a feeling this is a dumb question but I'm a first time raft owner, I have a 9.5' Aire Tributary. My wife and I R2 it alot and this weekend I'm going to have a bunch of family in town and was wondering if it work to R5 that baby down a mellow stretch like griz thru south canyon? I know the fit would be real tight, not really worried about that, just the weight capacity. the raft is rated for 800 lbs and with us 5 i'm guessing we'd weigh around 900 lbs total. I don't want to be terribly hard on my fairly new raft so I was wondering if this would be okay or would it be stupid to do that to my raft? Anyone have any experience doing this with a small raft? I'll take any suggestions, thanks. Stupid question over...

·
Registered
146 Posts
No worries. Load em all on there and have a good time. We've had people on every inch of boats before for B-day floats, river parade etc... you'll be fine.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Don't worry, boats are tough. With that weight and load be sure you check the maneuverability before you hit stuff.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
The boat will be just fine - but it will be sluggish, hard to maneuver, and somewhat paradoxically more likely to dump truck. All fine things for a class I-II party barge - but a bad idea for say a class IV run - unless you like swimming.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Load em up. Relax on the flats. Get every one down low as possible and inside the tubes approaching the big waves. Paddle forward, square up to the waves and enjoy! Make sure everyone's PFD fits good and tight, and if you do flip, enjoy the swim!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh it's mostly in-laws so I'll do my best to T up the gwood wave and dump everyone! Should be fun, thanks for the info guys, be on the lookout for a barely buoyant 9.5' trib full of Norwegians this weekend on grizz!

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Hey now!! Norske's know how to highside like a champ after all those years of keeping the shallow draft Viking Ship's upright, don't think you'll dump those crazy Scandanavians ;)

This is coming from the Viking Queen of Highsiding :D

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'd say ditch the oar frame & get everybody a paddle, it'd be a lot more fun for everybody. I bet you could rent some paddles.

·
Sponsoring Vendors
329 Posts
If you’ve ever worked in a raft store you would know there are no dumb questions. All the good answers have been given except for the shameless one I must give, You need two boats. You’ve got the small sporty little boat, now you need a party multi-day boat.
Hysides go on sale this week with free delivery, and we have Rocky Mountain Rafts and Air Tributaries in stock that the prices are too good to be true. I did say I am a shameless raft dealer. And all of us here have at least two boats.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Haha, thanks Riverboat! You're right, I DEFINITELY need a larger raft to join the fleet but I enjoy my marriage and if I bought another boat this summer, my marriage would probably cease to exist... Although that would create more paddling opportunities... hmmmm...

Cut me a deal next summer and you'll probably sell a boat! We'll be probably looking for a 2nd boat then...

·
Registered
207 Posts
Listen to Ron . He is great . i HAVE 6 RAFTS !! He who dies with the most boats wins .
You know after thinking about it maybe thats why I am single!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts