Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
nice!!!!!! That 3rd drop looks frightening.
It's a proven killer. It looks to me like if you're on line on the way in to that, it would be pretty easy to stay right and avoid trouble, but those two drops above make that far from certain, and the penalty for failure is pretty steep.

·
Registered
56 Posts
It's a proven killer. It looks to me like if you're on line on the way in to that, it would be pretty easy to stay right and avoid trouble, but those two drops above make that far from certain, and the penalty for failure is pretty steep.
rip dan

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Its damn fine paddling. I would lie and say it was me but too many people on this board have seen me paddle and know that I suck.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I thought people ran it occasionally in the past and after the death I have heard rumor of it being run and seen many good paddlers take a serious look at it. This is the first video I have seen to confirm it, but I would expect it's been done more than any of us who live here expect. That guy made it look good, but one small mistake likely means death on that one. I'll be sticking to the high right line.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Well I paddle a red Jackson and since the video was too small to definitively say that it wasn't me I'll just sit back and let people talk about how it could have been me, because hay, it might have been. I mean maybe this video was shot in some parallel universe where my balls were too big to fit in my Kayak.

·
Registered
33 Posts
We bumped into that guy and his buddy (the one filming) the day before in the Narrows. They were just in from Chattanooga, en route to Idaho and then B.C. I didn't catch their names.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The guy in front of me was the one filming for his group. I just happened to be passing by on my way home from a hiking trip with my son and saw these guys setting up. We decided to watch the run, and help with any rescue/recovery if needed. I would have felt better if I had my throwbag handy, but who needs one of those for hiking, right? These guys had just come down from a run on Big South and were wanting to play a bit more. They were taking a kayaking/camping trip from TN to BC.

Anyway, I missed the first drop on my phone camera but it was the best of the bunch. The paddler literaly disappeared for a few seconds as he went over then he popped back up. I think the first drop was scarier for the rest of us than the third one since he didn't surface right away, at least from our vantage point. Regardless, he hit the lines perfectly and made his way through, thankfully.

·
Super Moderator
2,841 Posts
The top three used to see somewhat frequent low water descents, with a catcher to make sure one made the last eddy. Back in +- '01 someone didn't get close enough to be caught and dropped the left terminal
Line. Traffic has slowed considerably since.

-Dave
(Seven two 0) 298-2242

·
Registered
329 Posts
Which part is the deadly spot? Right below where the camera crew is standing if you get caught in the river left line where it looks like the water disappears underneath the rock? ....just wondering as I've never seen it in person

1 - 20 of 26 Posts