Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never done the Yampa before. What will the ducky action be at the current flows? Can kids do any of the sections or is it best to keep them in the boat. I'm also thinking that after the confluence we are better off just rafting but I'd love input.

Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Do not put your kids on a ducky. There are a few sections that would be ok, but not worth chancing it. There are many big holes that could swallow them up. Little joe, big joe arent too bad right now, teepee has a huge hole in the middle and warm springs can be a nightmare. Make sure that you stay right all the way through warm springs.Split mtn is no cake walk, be ready right at first with moonshine, school boy and sob. Have fun and be safe.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. We have done moonshine at high water and had 1 boat dump truck so we are prepared for that. Definately no duckys on the green river or in the named III (or II?) rapids on the yampa for the kids, but what about all of the other water? Seems like on the maps there is not much going on.

·
Registered
10 Posts
There are quite a few places that would be great for duckies. Theres a long stretch before warm springs and a very long stretch through island park. The green river is running now, but only for a few more days.

·
Registered
358 Posts
We just took off. Big waves in places with no rapids marked on the maps but it is coming down fast so that will change quickly. Our ducky people (novice but strong adults) were in the rafts quite a lot of the time as the water was cold and we didn't want anyone to risk a long swim. I second the island park region as very duckyable for anyone even when high water but a lot of the other stuff was fast even if not big waves so need to keep a good watch on them.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Just for info (not trying to tell you what to do -- only you know capabilities of paddlers, boats, rescuers, and current flows):
My first time on the Yampa was at 6.7K to start (coming down)on a small commercial trip with 4 customers and 1 guide; guide in gear raft; customers in 2 double Hyside duckies. No prior experience; one customer was a 12 year old girl. We duckied everything but Warm Springs. Split Mountain was at 7K, big waves there, but guide gave good directions that we could follow. Just FYI.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.