Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to purchase a new Drytop this year, and would welcome any advice.

I purchased a Stohlquist top about 2 years ago and while it wasn't their top model, it leaks and I'm less than impressed with it's performance even after sending it back for repairs.

I've heard good things about Bomber Gear and Kokatat, but would love any opinions before I pony up for a new top.

Thanks.
Jeff

·
Registered
911 Posts
You will here many opinions about drytops... The most important fact (non opinion) is that they all leak as some point. Another way of saying that there really is no such thing as a "Dry top".

BUT, you can definitely buys ones that are better than others for everything from leaks, to overal fit...

I personally like Bombergears stuff as it fits awesome and in my humble opinion... doesn't leak much at all.

Patagucci makes great stuff if you have the dough... and Koketat is also known to have really good products.

At this stage in the game of manufacturing, there is a certain base level of quality that you can count on... and because of that, I believe that price is just as important as the manufacturer...

Just my humble opinion

and BTW, I work for Jackson Kayak not Bombergear.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
My stohlquist is very dry but I clean it at the end of the season and iron it and the beginning of the new season to keep the DWR active.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I second the bomber gear sugestion I have a dry top and a skirt. Had to send the skirt for repairs and they were done fast with no hassles. Check Sierra Trading Post as they have deals on bomber gear stuff frequently.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Stohlquist- good stuff, support a CO business and family.
IR tops- comfy, stylish, functional.
NRS top- economic, high quality. Best top for the buck.
Patagonia- new top...should be good. Good company to support (probably the most environmentally friendly clothing manufacturer in the outdoor industry).
Kokotat top- best top on the market and probably the most expensive.

-just my impressions.

·
Registered
39 Posts
WS Monolith

Whatever you do, do NOT buy a WaveSport Monolith! I bought one that turned out to be one of a defective batch (something about the manufacturer switching fabrics during manufacturing in Asia). Leaked through right from the get-go. Got a replacement after some headache at the end of the season. Replacement did EXACTLY the same thing as the first one. Definitely soured me on WS soft goods. They should stick to making boats.

Monolith has some great features, but keeping you dry is not one of them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts