Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got the option for a great deal on a drysuit and don't have time to go try one on. Kokatat, size medium. According to the sizing I'm still in the medium, but on the upper end...wondering if anyone can give me feedback on their drysuit size and body size.
I'm 5'10", 170, 33" waist, 32" inseam. Basically average all around.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Medium is probably too short. A buddy got a M who is similar proportions. The key dimension is crotch to neck / shoulders. The M suit fit him in all other aspects, but pinched the crotch too tightly to be comfy.

I like going with the next larger size when on the cusp. It looks huge when you don't have it on, but fits fine. Larger size provides more room for range of motion, layers for cold days, and any extra length or play in the suit is taken up and held in place by the skirt, pfd, elbow pads etc.

You could also call kokatat, and they could discuss with you.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I'm your size plus an inch in the waist and 10 pounds. I couldn't imagine fitting a medium comfortably. A Kokatat should last a very long time and you might gain a few inches over the years.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Word. I wondered this as well when I was buying - even had the opportunity to switch back and forth between a M & L, and you will be sorry if you get a medium. Nothing worse than trying to climb up something and having your suit pull back on you. The main problem is the height of the suit. The L will be big in the waist, chest, etc. but it doesn't make any difference once you throw on your skirt and pfd.

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
I'm 5'10", 185 #'s and found a large to be too small for me. I went, with an XL so it was easier to get on and I could comfortably wear more layers underneath.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I'm 5'9ish and have a large Stohlquist. It's a little big for me, but that just means the crotch might hang a tad low, but usually the sprayskirt tunnel takes care of that. I could comfortably wear my snow jacket underneath if I wanted.

·
addict
741 Posts
my measurements are 5'10" and 185 lbs. i used a kokatat L for a few years, and when i upgraded it this year i went with an XL. no complaints at all so far. i think added space allows your body to warm more air, keeping you warmer on those really cold days. i just make sure that i burp out as much excess volume as i can before putting on my skirt and pfd.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Kokatat drysuits are cut very, very baggy. I know that from my own (women's) suit plus a couple times earlier when I rented their Men's Small.

My husband is 5'9", about 160 lbs, and his Kokatat Medium drysuit fits him well. His waist and inseam are 32" or 33", and he is of pretty average build.

There is no reason you can't wear the size Large, of course. But there are two downsides to that: (1) Walking in too-big suits can be awkward (but OK while paddling)--you might have to hold up the suit to keep it from sagging and dragging, and (2) The bunched-over excess fabric tends to become abraded in ways that would not happen if the suit actually fit well.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I'm 6', 155 with a 32" inseam and monkey arms. I have a large for myself, but I can use medium in a pinch. Since you are right on the cusp, hold out for the large for long term happiness.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts