Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I dont really want to beat a dead horse... or do I...?

I'm going down the Grand in January and looking for some advice. I'll be kayaking a hardshell and I'm wondering about the advantages of drysuits vs. bibs, then also which suit is right for me. I've been eyeing up the Kokatat GMER for a few years now, but wondering if I should save a few bucks and get a NRS or Palm suit of reasonable quality, or just a new pair of bibs and deal with the drytop I have now.

any advice from experienced boaters is appreciated.

thanks!

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Do a search and you'll turn up a number of discussions on the subject. General consensus from what I've seen is GMER is the best, Palm Stikine a close second. If they cost too much for your budget go for the Palm Torrent.

·
Registered
795 Posts
My advice.....absolutely have a full drysuit! I just got off the Grand last Friday and we had decent weather almost everyday (mid 60's). But the sun was hard to come by this late in the year....we seemed to be continuously "chasing" the beams of sunlight around every corner. I was rowing and I still got a little chilly in my Palm drysuit. The water is cold and the sun is sparse when you get deep. I remember thinking how friggen cold I'd be if I was in my yak.....even with decent temps.

I have a Kokatat drytop and I would have a Kokatat drysuit if I hadn't received my Palm for free (won it at an event). I do LOVE my Palm, but I don't think the quality is as bomber as Kokatat (when I compare my drytop to drysuit).

My .02

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
GMER with the booties and a piss zipper is the way to go. Of course the drysuit will keep you dry and warm which is a good thing on a winter trip. The other bonus is that your insulating layers underneath don't get wet, so you don't have to dry out wet gear every night. Just throw your drysuit on a line with the zipper and the gaskets hanging down so water doesn't get inside if it rains, and you will be dry all trip. Putting on wet gear in the morning blows, but its a thing of the past with a good drysuit.

·
Registered
60 Posts
One piece with goretex booties. Grand is cold in winter. Pee zips tend to leak, wish I didn't have mine -- until I gotta go.

·
Registered
144 Posts
NRS is evil. they will carry a company for a bit then copy said companies design, sell it for 10 bucks less and *u#K that company. I just got a GMER this summer I tried to figure out the difference from Gore tex to the nrs fabrik. I never really got down to it so I went with recomendations. a co-worker of mine has had a kokatat since the late 80's, he sent her in a few yrs back and got all new gaskets put in for a couple hundred bucks .

·
Registered
106 Posts
Check out the IR Double D. I've had mine for a year with close to 100 days on it and it's still going strong. I find the rear entry zipper more comfortable than the front when paddling and it lets in less water through my skirt tunnel. It's also a fair bit cheaper than the Kokatat.

Kelsey Thompson
www.atlantickayaker.com

·
Registered
26 Posts
NRS Inversion Kayak Drysuit 4 Sale

I have a medium, blue, NRS inversion kayak drysuit. It was just bought, Oct. '08, for a Nov. '08 Grand Canyon trip. I just got back on Wed. It was worn for 12 days, from Phantom to Diamond Creek, and I'd like to sell it for $420. Let me know if you're interested.

·
Registered
133 Posts
drysuit

one peace gore tex with booties for sure, I am a pro guide i go with nrs, im only in my suit for 3 months a year so hard to spring for the gmer or gfer, damn those neck gaskets are tight, got a couple of nrs drysuits for sale in fact, large and xl, good prices, 275 apeace, you pay shipping, they are lightly used, 406-250-8890, montucky, where yuppies go to die:twisted:

·
Registered
47 Posts
My mistake on the Palm prices. THose are Pounds, not Euros, meaning $750, not $625 for the Stikine, not sure about the Torrent.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts