Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drybox (kitchen) Choices & Quality?

FINALLY ready to pull the trigger, and looking at the choices out there. I don't want one of the cheapo ones.
But there are a few seemingly decent ones around; Recretech, Cambridge, DRE, and someone recently suggested Canyon.

Recretech shows powder coated boxes, adjustable seat mounts, and bear resistant options, and a shelf IIRC

Cambridge used to advertise something about how their tops were folded to create a better sealing surface, but from the pix I really can't tell a difference.

DRE looks to be more expensive than others, but I don't see why.

Canyon...never heard of them a few years ago, and they sell cheap ones too. Really haven't heard much about them.

So far, Powdercoated, bear proof Recretech sounds most appealing. I'm 6'0" and 230 and plan to sit on it with an ethafoam top for class III touring.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BTW, Mike. As long as you're here, How do you like the box? Would you buy again, or something else this time?

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I've only got room for 36"
Lots of 36" canyon boxes on the deals page. They make delivery runs down to Ca, but not sure about Fresno. The other vendors you will have to pay a lot to ship or get from a local dealer. Not sure what size box you want or mounts for kitchen legs? We just use a std box and use plastic organizers.

I'd go with a thicker lid or have them add a reinforcement inside. The canyon boxes are well made but any .080 lid will flex if you honk on it

On Monday I will be getting my second and third canyon box delivered.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I can only say that I really like my recretech boxes. I like kitchen boxes with legs (so that is how I run mine) and I have two handles put on the sides of the boxes instead of one. This helps if someone smaller is helping you carry them from the boat up a steep sandbank to the kitchen for example.

I have owned other boxes (don't remember the brands) and I like the solidness of Recretechs work.

As an aside, I use sliding seat mounts on my multi day frame in case someone shorter (or taller) can pry the oars from my hands.

-Dan

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
My rafting buddy uses Recretech and loves them. He has two kitchen boxes with legs and he had shelves built into both of them. He rows from them with no problem, and he's about your size. I needed custom sized boxes for my cat and got them from Partner Steel. No problems rowing from them either.
Did you decide on a bigger boat?

·
Registered
66 Posts
BTW, Mike. As long as you're here, How do you like the box? Would you buy again, or something else this time?
I purchased it used and it should probably be sold with the cat frame I just replaced as it drops in perfectly to make a seat. It is dry, though has never been upside down. As a seat it was sturdy and worked great. Handles, latches and hinges are solid. It is 40x16x16.

I have been impressed with the Frontierplay boxes as they are a good value, but thinner and questionable for a seat.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My rafting buddy uses Recretech and loves them. He has two kitchen boxes with legs and he had shelves built into both of them. He rows from them with no problem, and he's about your size. I needed custom sized boxes for my cat and got them from Partner Steel. No problems rowing from them either.
Did you decide on a bigger boat?
I've decided to stick with what I've got, for now. I'm a cheap old bastard and just can't justify the price for the small difference it would make to switch from a 13.5 to a 14' raft. A 14 will carry more, but it would really take a 15 (or bigger) to make the difference I'm looking for. So I'll keep packing light, and the kitchen box (with legs) will help organize my space in the 13.5 while leaving the little table at home. And when I really need more capacity I'll throw somebody in an IK.
I really don't want to have a second raft to store, nor a 15 footer as my only one. Here in Cali my 13.5 is considered large on many of the best rivers.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
The lids on Cambridge and recretec are very different. Cambridge is a shoebox lid, where it just has sheet metal go around the top 1" or so of box. They aren't as dry IMO as the recretec style. I don't know how to describe it other than the lid metal is folded in again. So it is like a box closing on a box. Very dry and more rigid. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
The lids on Cambridge and recretec are very different. Cambridge is a shoebox lid, where it just has sheet metal go around the top 1" or so of box. They aren't as dry IMO as the recretec style. I don't know how to describe it other than the lid metal is folded in again. So it is like a box closing on a box. Very dry and more rigid. Hope that helps.
I've got two types and am transitioning away from the Cambridge toward the recretec/canyon style. The shoebox lid tends to scrape when opening/closing, and has one bend like a shoebox lid. The fold over lid has 4 bends in it which makes it much stronger, less likely to deform

The frontier box is somewhat similar to the fold over lid but they really skimp --- I wish I had pictures of the one I used to own (gave away to a newbie friend for a case of pabst). Nothing compared to a solid lid.

The only advantage I can see for powdercoat is it won't look dingy or oxidize with time. I wish they made anodized boxes

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Eddy Out is also a good option. Same construction as RRT and CWI boxes with the rigid lids.
I heard a rumor ( I think from CWI) that they do the bending or breaking or forming of the Eddie out boxes. Orto11 you wanna chime in here since you seem to know everything about CWI? (Almost like you were an agent for them?)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The lids on Cambridge and recretec are very different. Cambridge is a shoebox lid, where it just has sheet metal go around the top 1" or so of box.
OH! I've seen those plenty of times. No Likie!

Eddy Out is also a good option. Same construction as RRT and CWI boxes with the rigid lids.
Unfortunately, Eddy Out only comes in stock sizes, and their kitchen box with legs is 38" wide - exactly the same width as the space between the tubes on my raft.
At this point I'm leaning towards Recretech, but Canyon also seems like a decent choice.

@Avatard; Agreed about anodize, rather than powdercoat. My motorcycle luggage is powdercoated aluminum and definitely showing signs of wear, and it don't get dragged around the campsite and sat on nearly as much as a drybox does.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
My friend's recretech boxes are the kind that lock into the frame. He really likes them because he doesn't need straps. We love having a kitchen box. Some folks don't like taking it out of the boat and hauling it into camp, but it never bothers us. We take out the legs, put them through a strap on each side of the box, and 4 of us carry it up. Not that difficult most of the time, and well worth it to not have to haul a bunch of kitchen stuff individually. The kitchen box is the heart of our river kitchen and the lid makes a great prep table. It's such an organized space for everything, especially since my friend had shelves added to the kitchen boxes.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've had Cy from Cambridge make me boxes in the past. The workmanship is top notch, I'm just not a fan of the shoebox style lids. The other issue was the cost of freight. Shipping cost is a definite factor no matter which brand you go with. For that reason alone, I've recently teamed up with Eddy Out and I can get custom sized boxes aside from the standard sizes they make for NRS. They are local to me and have no outlet to the boating community for their boxes (aside from NRS) and their frames too.

All of those options are good ones, I think ultimately, it's going to come down to price, availability, and shipping costs.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I'm a Cy fan

I have not had any issue with his boxes. I really like working with him to get a top quality box that fits your specific application.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
I don't disagree about the quality of Cy's products. It was well made. I wish they changed their design because I believe the rolled lid is superior.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts