Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally getting all gear for my newly purchased 14' Hyside. For time being, was just planning to sit on my paco/drybox, but might go with tractor seat bolted to piece of plywood later on.

Question, I have a friend that has both an 18" and 16" high used dryboxes. Wondering which of these will feel better after long days on river. I am quite tall (6'5") so I was initially thinking 18", but wondering if I later go with tractor seat option if I'm going to be way too high up.

·
Owner: Class 5 Carvings
621 Posts
I like being high up, I actually just welded 3'' to the bottom of all the feet on my captains chair to get me a bit higher, and those sit way higher then just being on the drybox. I am only 5'9'' as well. So I would say if you're tall then go with the taller box, plus its more room to pack a few things inside it. It's all opinion though, I know most people like to be lower down, but that seems to me like you're rowing at your throat and I like to pull my oars close to my waist when I am seated.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Choose your seat height before you choose your oars and oar towers. The higher you go the more likely you are to need taller oar towers. Comfort is the key, but this will also be affected by the size of the bay and the position of the foot bar. My hubby and struggle to both be comfortable rowing a boat as he is 6'3" and all leg, while I am 5'7". Keep this in mind if you think anyone else will row your boat.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I saw your other post on oar height which listed boat specs, with 19" tubes an 18" drybox is going to be way up there (top of tubes to top of floor will be about 12"), especially with a tractor seat. I had a 13' version of that boat and my cooler was about 19" high and with 8" NRS towers while sitting on the cooler I could barely row (oars at knee level to get them out of the water). So you would either need really tall towers or really short oars. My drybox on that rig was 15" tall if I recall and with a tractor seat bolted to plywood and strapped to the drybox it was OK but I preferred being a bit lower so on overnighters I took off the tractor seat and sat on padded plywood (probably 2" lower than when on tractor seat and it was a perfect rowing height). This was all with 9' oars.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts