Mountain Buzz banner

Drybox/flip mount seat

6K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Dr.AndyDVM 
#1 ·
Got an NRS flip mount seat last year. I have a frontier Play dry box. When I tried it out- it seemed like the rubber feet on the seat would dent or even break through the top of the dry box.

I ended up gluing some plywood to the cooler and displaced the weight enough that it worked.
When I look at the thickness of the NRS dry boxes they seem to compare with the Frontier Play.

Does anyone have any different intel? The Frontier Play has been a great box- but if there is no difference between it and the NRS- I might just have some steel welded on the top of the Frontier Play box to accommodate the base of the flip mount seat.
Looking for thoughts...

#2 ·
I don't know about the difference between the boxes, but I've slammed my flip seat onto my NRS dry box hundreds, if not thousands, of times and aside from doughnut shaped scratches on the lid, it's no worse for wear. No dents from the feet, no sag or anything. You can always take the feet off the flip mount and stick a piece of foam or something on it to cushion the bolt heads, I have a buddy who did that and has no complaints.

#6 ·
I used a AAA flip seat over my Partner Steel dry box for years. I do have foam on my dry box top, but I never had any damage to the foam or the dry box lid. And I'm definitely not a 105 pound swimsuit model!

#8 ·
I bolted a seat to my FP drybox without problems but in fairness I reinforced under and over the lid just because I'm fat and paranoid. FP boxes are .080 as are 99% of boxes out there but I've seen many that offer a.090 upgrade for about as much as your entire raft costs. I recently saw someone that made all of their boxes from .090 but I can't remember who it was.

#10 ·
That was the nice thing about getting my flip seat bracket from AAA. They asked me to measure my dry box from cross bar to top of box so that they could send me the right size. They had different heights of flip seat brackets. Their brackets sit flat on the box without feet. I used the bracket when I had a cataraft. Once I got my raft, I just rowed sitting on the dry box.

When I ordered my second, smaller box from Partner Steel, I noticed it had a slightly raised X pattern on the lid. They told me that was to strengthen the lid. I worried at first about getting foam to stick with that pattern, but never had a problem.

#11 ·
Yeah, I think the NRS shop will be able to fabricate me a custom bracket if it doesn't fit. I bought the stock one which puts the spacers 6" above the crossbar. Mad Cow has their boxes at 5" above the crossbars. So it will be close. I bought it after I put my raft to bed for the winter. I store it on the trailer, inflated soft, without frame or boxes. In the next month or so I'll get the frame out and get it rigged and see if it fits. If it doesn't, I'll go back to Cascade River Gear and order a custom seat in time for spring boating.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.