Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a used drybox that has it's bottom reinforced by finished 1/4" marine plywood bolted and liquid nailed on the exterior of the bottom. It water tight and done well (routed edges and entirely sealed)

The obvious advantage is that protects the bottom and gives the box more rigidity but is it worth the effort and trouble to do for other boxes?

Thanks!!

Sent from my cat while running the Upper Lochsa

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
Nope, I have used and abused the same dry boxes for years, no problems.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Never seen that before... I've never had an issue with either of mine that I needed to do that...

·
Registered
679 Posts
dryboxes are heavy enough. why add the extra weight?

·
Registered
983 Posts
I can speculate that this wasn't done for reinforcement but to potentially protect the floor of the raft from rubbing against the bottom of the Al drybox.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I can speculate that this wasn't done for reinforcement but to potentially protect the floor of the raft from rubbing against the bottom of the Al drybox.
I can understand the thought but I'd think that would be a step in the wrong direction... a smooth aluminum bottom is going to wear less than an aged wood bottom, with bolt heads, cracks, chips, etc... I have flat spots worn in my cross bars but the old boat showed no permanent wear (rub off the black spots and you couldn't tell well the bars had been).

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
why the name change Iron-man I mean read-n-run?

·
Registered
983 Posts
Bolts are steel and the wood is probably fine sanded. I'm not saying that is what I would do (far from that)- just a theory of what they were /trying/ to accomplish.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
True enough, they may also have wanted to protect the bottom from dragging, bouncing, etc but I think they made it worse (by a long shot) for their boat... this coming from a guy with wood dry boxes!

·
Registered
983 Posts
elkhaven - I completely agree. I think there's a lot of trial-and-error in this area. The non-countersunk bolts seems to be a really odd thing as well.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
First thing my buddies did with my new kitchen box was drop it on a rock and drag it in position. Not sure if I'd rather have penetrations or gouges on the bottom

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
First thing my buddies did with my new kitchen box was drop it on a rock and drag it in position. Not sure if I'd rather have penetrations or gouges on the bottom
I have friends I boat with (day trips only) that I won't allow to do anything for this reason. One wanted to borrow my new boat a few weeks ago and for the first time ever I said no! Had I let it go with him it would have come back strapped with one strap, hard as a rock, covered in sand, filled with beer cans and cigarette butts. I truly don't understand how people can show so little respect for other peoples gear... arrggghhh:evil:

·
Registered
983 Posts
I have friends I boat with (day trips only) that I won't allow to do anything for this reason. One wanted to borrow my new boat a few weeks ago and for the first time ever I said no! Had I let it go with him it would have come back strapped with one strap, hard as a rock, covered in sand, filled with beer cans and cigarette butts. I truly don't understand how people can show so little respect for other peoples gear... arrggghhh:evil:
I think that's a great thread topic for the quiet times "what will you lend out and what won't you". Tell us a story of why you may have done it previously and don't anymore.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The boxes recently constructed by several brands use 0.060" sluminum sheet.
In that case, coremat, glass (or carbon) and marine epoxy make a good stiffener that has little weight and little affinity for water. Any water retained will set up galvanic corrosion and ultimately destroy the box.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
The boxes recently constructed by several brands use 0.060" sluminum sheet.
In that case, coremat, glass (or carbon) and marine epoxy make a good stiffener that has little weight and little affinity for water. Any water retained will set up galvanic corrosion and ultimately destroy the box.
I have no idea what you're saying!

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
I think that's a great thread topic for the quiet times "to whom will you lend out your gear and to whom won't you". Tell us a story of why you may have done it previously and don't anymore.
Fixed it for truth. ;)

There is very little I won't lend out to the right people.
There is very little I will lend out to some people.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts