Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a kokotat dry top that has an inner skirt for use with a kayak skirt. When I wore this top on the Grand in March on a raft not kayaking my pelvic area got soaked and I froze my butt off. I tried different kinds of pants and ways to layer the bottom of this dry top with no luck. I don't want a repeat experience. I'm doing the Middle Fork at the end of June and can't decide what to get. A dry suit is expensive and doesn't seem very versatile with changes in weather, but am considering getting one. I'm not sure I'd need one on the Middle Fork but could easily run into a situation with weather and snow run off where it would be nice. Who knows when I'll get to a colder Grand trip again. Therefore, is a dry top/ dry pant a good idea or should I just go with a good splash top and pants? I would then be risking getting cold if I swim in splash gear but maybe it's worth the trade off of cost and being comfortable on the boat. I can't decide and would love input. Thanks, Fronc

·
Registered
592 Posts
If you want keep with the pant top combo, check out the Whirlpool GTX bibs from Kokatat, the tunnel on the top and the flap on the bibs roll together to create a pretty solid seal.

·
Registered
135 Posts
You never know about the weather, but I did MFS last June (22nd launch) and was glad to have my rented dry suit from kayakacademy.com. The first couple days were chilly and w/ the high water, long swims were a possibility. We ended up w/ three people in the water first day, all with dry suits, and they were fine. We were all rafters... BTW.

I've since picked up a GMER used on ebay, excellent condition for $550.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts