Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a March Grand Canyon trip with my family. The weather being unpredictable and the water being cold I figured we needed some dry gear. A dry suit seems a bit overkill for anything but a swim and is expensive. A dry top/dry pant combo seems a little easier to get in and out of and not as expensive, but might not be the best for a potential swim. Any suggestions for adults and kids? Thanks!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Did it last March,doing it again this March--Yeah,a drysuit is the way to go. Most everyone in our group had one,except one girl. We had one boat flip twice,two girls swam-one had a drysuit and one had drytop/pants combo. One girl in a drysuit was shivering a lot(but only for a few minutes after she got outta the water).The other girl in the combo outfit was VERY cold for quite awhile and started getting pretty miserable. She was gettin the shakes,even a half hour after her swim,we had to stop and find sun for her to sit in so that she could warm her body back up. Remember,its a big canyon,lots of shade--and if you just had a swim...you know the rest. Yeah,definitely recommend the drysuit-that shits cold.

I recommend the Kokatat Supernova--somewhat affordable and plenty dry. I finally got to break mine in on the Middle Fork and i didn't even get a drop inside the neoprene neck. I was very satisfied with it. You can also find used ones.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Kokatat also makes dry bibs (Whirlpool), will keep you dry, and if you already have a dry top -much cheaper, however, if you are needing to buy both I would probably go with a dry suit.

·
Spits Hot Fire
978 Posts
Somebody will come on here and say you can get by without one but after two March trips myself, I would strongly recommend them. I take my drysuit as well as drytop. Expect some pretty cool temperatures and lots of shade but the beauty about March is you'll have some great warm weather too. Maybe we'll see ya down there next March. Dibs on Bass.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I went down the Grand this past March and had the same problem. I went ahead and purchased a drysuit. It was the best decision I made. Just suck it up and spend the money, you will use it after the trip. I would second going with Kokatat. They have great customer service. Have a great time. \m/ \m/

·
Registered
795 Posts
Can't go wrong with a drysuit.....but I did the Grand in March 2 years ago and I never even had to use my shorty. 18 out of 21 days were better than 80 degrees....

I guess it's better to err on the side of caution, however.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can't go wrong with a drysuit.....but I did the Grand in March 2 years ago and I never even had to use my shorty. 18 out of 21 days were better than 80 degrees....

I guess it's better to err on the side of caution, however.
I hope to be so lucky!!
Found a place that rents them, which may or may not be the best option, but at least I don't have to worry about purchasing 4 new ones especially if I don't use them (though eventually I might).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts