Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the market for a used or lower priced dry suit. I have my eye on a Kokatat two piece but my wife would kill me if I spent $1100. What does everyone use? I keep seeing Mythic Gear Dry suits, any opinions?

·
GoBro
1,493 Posts
Buy it once. Spend the money on a goretex kokatat. Sweet is the only other company I would consider and they are more expensive and the customer service is largely (completely?) untested. When I got my GMER it was a huge amount of money to spend. It's a piece of safety equipment. Don't fool yourself (or your wife) into thinking anything less.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Buy it once. Spend the money on a goretex kokatat. Sweet is the only other company I would consider and they are more expensive and the customer service is largely (completely?) untested. When I got my GMER it was a huge amount of money to spend. It's a piece of safety equipment. Don't fool yourself (or your wife) into thinking anything less.
Yeah that is my thinking too, safety equipment. She just agreed to let me do SSRP course in may (baby due in a month so money is going in that direction), but it was easy sell because its must have for river use.

·
Registered
312 Posts
very happy with my NRS crux that I got for 450$ ,,,, it keeps me bone dry on whitewater swims... and as soon as that is no longer the case, it will be taken care of under warranty.

·
Registered
145 Posts
very happy with my NRS crux that I got for 450$ ,,,, it keeps me bone dry on whitewater swims... and as soon as that is no longer the case, it will be taken care of under warranty.
How do you find one for $450? Sounds like a "never find again" price.

·
Registered
312 Posts
the 2014 crux is still 450 for non profits and pros.... hopefully you work for an outfitter and that can be your price right now... NRS B2B....

·
Registered
98 Posts
How do you find one for $450? Sounds like a "never find again" price.
Pro-deal... Got my Palm Stakine dry suit for $325 when they first hit the states in 03' I think. It is a little porous now, but still far better than a wet suit. Everything has a breaking point... even the $1000 Kokatat Gore-tex seams will begin to leak after one hard season of use.

Whatever brand you buy, just keep it out of the dirt/grit/sand, and dedicate a bottle of baby powder to the bag you keep it in for the gaskets. That is how I still have the Palm...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Alpacka has a few dry suits as well, and IIRC they are made by Kokotat.

They're a few hundred dollars cheaper than the 1k mark, and occasionally they run sales.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I bought an old Palm Stikine suit for $400 this winter and with some TLC it is perfectly functional, Nikwax and Tear Aid and it is fully waterproof...

Until I go out of my boat a fuckin stick punctured my latex sock...

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What is generally the first place to wear in a dry suit? I wear knee/shin g-form pads for SUP so legs will have extra protection on swims plus torso will be covered with PFD.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
Buy an NRS on sale if you can. Half the price of Kokatat and every bit as functional.

Lots of people who own Kokatat will chime in on this thread and say that you shouldn't dare consider anything less. I duckie and swim my ass off hundreds of miles a year in my NRS Extreme Relief suit and I'm as bone dry as any of them year after year for under $500. Gore Tex is very expensive and equally over-rated.

Don't get me wrong, made in America is great and Kokatat makes awesome gear, but for your budget concerns NRS is a quality product that will last you years - and they stand behind it.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I agree with randaddy, NRS has a great product for the money. I personally own a koko goretex, but would not hesitate to buy an NRS. I know several friends who run the NRS suits hard and have had no issues.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Has anyone had much experience with a semi drysuit, like the Nova mentioned earlier? Used to wear a dry top during Spring runoff in my kayaking days, but reallyndidnt like the latex gaskets at the wrist and neck...thank for any thoughts anyone might have!

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
I'm glad that many of you have had good success with NRS's drysuits, but my experience with their products is that they are made cheaply. I have owned drytops, booties, gloves, pogies, neoprene and other various products from them and it seems consistent that they use shit thread and seams fail....

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
I'm glad that many of you have had good success with NRS's drysuits, but my experience with their products is that they are made cheaply. I have owned drytops, booties, gloves, pogies, neoprene and other various products from them and it seems consistent that they use shit thread and seams fail....
Logan, I agree with you 100% on the tops, pants, and several other products I've owned. I had a seam fail in a semi-dry top and then fail again after replacement. When I called and complained they talked me into trying the suit. They promised it was a whole 'nother level of quality and it has proven to be the case. The construction is good, with even, quality seam taping and a good fit for me. I specialized in waterproof breathables when I worked for GoLite and can say that this is a quality garment.

Also it's worth considering that if it ever does leak NRS is quick to send a brand new suit as a replacement.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts