Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm looking to purchase a dry suit for ww kayaking. I'm 5'5 150 so a small for most brands. I only have around $300 which I know isn't much but just thought I'd see if anyone's looking for Karma points. Thanks!

·
Beginner
2,499 Posts
Save an extra couple hundred bucks and watch NRS for sales. It's the type of garment that is worth buying new - and get the relief zipper, you'll be glad you did!

I swim in my NRS suit a lot and stay very dry. I've drooled over Kokatat for ever, but dry is dry and $500 on sale isn't uncommon for NRS.

·
Paddling in to the Future
574 Posts
Save an extra couple hundred bucks and watch NRS for sales. It's the type of garment that is worth buying new - and get the relief zipper, you'll be glad you did!

I swim in my NRS suit a lot and stay very dry. I've drooled over Kokatat for ever, but dry is dry and $500 on sale isn't uncommon for NRS.
Both the bomber and mythic posted above were new and have relief zippers. unlike NRS and the Aegius they used the carry, both are also breathable. For budget suits, they appear to be alright. you don't have any color choice, but that's kind of to be expected at that price point.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just bought a lightly used bomber gear hydrobomb drysuit on ebay for $175 (same as the one referenced above). It did not leak during a 3 minute test swim on the poudre except for a tiny bit in the feet (the seller told me that would happen). So it seems like it might work, but it does not appear as durable as the high dollar suits and it also lacks a overskirt. I got the medium and it appears to be a decent fit, I am about 5'4 1\2 and 140 pounds. I suspect a medium might be a better fit for you with most brands.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Keep an eye on Boatertalk and ebay. And, if you can come up with another couple hundred bucks you can probably get a brand new Kokatat Hydrus w/ relief from Kayak Academy. Hydrus is not quite as breathable as Gore Tex but does carry the Kokatat lifetime warranty. Also, NRS has closeout suits in that price range I think.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts