Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and my buds from Kentucky are heading to Colorado for a week of rivers next week. I hear the water's cold :) Dry suit? Dry top? Shorty? Pogies?

·
Registered
214 Posts
The weather has been really hot lately which helps with the cold water. At this time of year you will def. want to have at least a dry top. Many people wear full drysuits, but they aren't necessary. Pogies can be nice on some of the longer high elevation runs where the water is really cold and you are planning on being in it for awhile. Also, IMO scull caps make a HUGE difference in your overall warmth while on the water.

Enjoy and stay warm!

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I'd leave the shorty at home, but bring everything else you have. Better to be overprepared then to get cold. Higher elevation rivers and creeks are colder, while the larger lower elevation rivers are a bit warmer here. I am still wearing pogies on some colder stretches. I am from the south originally and confess to being a cold water puss. For playing drytop and shorts are fine. I usually put some sort of thermal protection on my legs on harder stuff in case of a swim or rescue situation. I have been wearing my drysuit a lot lately. You don't need it, but if you have it, damn its nice to not be cold and sopping wet at the end of a long day. If you want to represent true southern style though, you'll just be bare-chested with a PFD!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Dry top a must, you never know around here when the weather is going to turn and shit on you. Water is chilly so a skull cap is a good idea as well. I agree, leave the shorty at home and just make sure you have got warm stuff in the shuttle vehicle.

"Where'd you come from? You look pregnant." -Steve Zissou

1 - 7 of 7 Posts