Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Say the price difference is not an issue would you get a dry box or a kitchen box? What's the reasoning?
Gracias

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
If you buy a kitchen box--chances are that you're going to be carrying the kitchen on most trips. I carried the kitchen for a dozen years and eventually let others have that chore.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Typically carry the kitchen, but I use a standard drybox without legs. Although the kitchen box with legs are nice, I like to get in and out of the box from the top, that way it is in the same orientation in the raft as it is on shore. On a side note, the nice thing about having a sweet kitchen box, you typically can pass on carrying the groover.

·
Registered
111 Posts
My OCD kitchen box. Carries 12" and 10" DO, two cast iron fry pans, 16 qt stock pot, colander, stainless French press, two cutting boards, service for four, etc, etc. Yes, 3/4 plywood with epoxy finish, and heavy. But it's all there.

And the way is good.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
The way

Packing the entire dry/kitchen box in and out every time is a hassle. Hard on backs and possibly your raft.

Having the entire dry/kitchen box at camp is really nice. Among other reasons is the security from small/medium animals overnight and cleanliness with the lid shut.

Having one dry box THE Kitchen supply center makes it easier to administer and regulate and watch over and guard.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
is good

My OCD kitchen box. Carries 12" and 10" DO, two cast iron fry pans, 16 qt stock pot, colander, stainless French press, two cutting boards, service for four, etc, etc. Yes, 3/4 plywood with epoxy finish, and heavy. But it's all there.

And the way is good.
Very nice.

What raft do you carry your crates of veges on?
Two large cutting boards.

Nice woodworking skills obviously.

=========

Lodge makes a pair of skillets that fit together to make a simple Dutch Oven.
$35 for new including shipping and they are pre-seasoned.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LODGE-LOGIC-LCC3-PRE-SEASONED-CAST-IRON-COMBO-COOKER-DUTCH-OVEN-SKILLET-POT-PAN-/320963871202?pt=Cookware&hash=item4abaf001e2

If you're already good with the idea of two cast iron skillets.

·
Registered
502 Posts
This may be the ultimate OCD camp kitchen. The 4-burner stove is attached to the hinged lid. The compartments in the box contain all of the cookware, utensils and commonly used spices (including everything you see on the stove top and most of what is on the table).

This was custom-built by Harvey Partner to my design. Sure, it's a heavy bastard to carry to and from the raft, but once it's set up, it is the kitchen crew's delight. No squatting and digging for something in the bottom of the box, no sand, no ants. Sixty seconds of hard labor is a small price to pay for the efficiency of a home kitchen on the river.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
This may be the ultimate OCD camp kitchen.
You tantalize with the somewhat revealing pic.

The propane tank in the right rear appears to be having its contents stolen by ants. Is paying off the ants how you avoid conflict?

Inquiring minds want to see your kitchens inventory and understand its arrangement. If only to be unquenchably jealous.

How small does all the support structure collapse to?

======

I like your way better.

·
Registered
787 Posts
This may be the ultimate OCD camp kitchen. The 4-burner stove is attached to the hinged lid. The compartments in the box contain all of the cookware, utensils and commonly used spices (including everything you see on the stove top and most of what is on the table).

This was custom-built by Harvey Partner to my design. Sure, it's a heavy bastard to carry to and from the raft, but once it's set up, it is the kitchen crew's delight. No squatting and digging for something in the bottom of the box, no sand, no ants. Sixty seconds of hard labor is a small price to pay for the efficiency of a home kitchen on the river.
WOW, you turned the kitchen drybox to 11!

·
Registered
502 Posts
You tantalize with the somewhat revealing pic.

The propane tank in the right rear appears to be having its contents stolen by ants. Is paying off the ants how you avoid conflict?

Inquiring minds want to see your kitchens inventory and understand its arrangement. How small does all the support structure collapse to?
You are right. The ants are indeed carrying the propane tank away--not to avoid conflict, but to facilitate it.

The series of photos below will answer the rest of your questions.

1. This is how SuperStove rides on the raft, using a frame similar to a cooler frame. SuperStove was built with the same dimensions as the old standard Cascade Frames dry box that it is sitting on. If you want it to ride lower, flip the frame over.

2. The frame pulls apart to make the legs. This was fabricated by TMS Frames in Vancouver.

3. We hook the top of the leg frames over the SuperStove handles, then secure them in place with the green strap.

4. Stand it up and make it level.

5. Open the lid.

6. We would keep the windscreen down at night to keep dew from wetting the burners. As users of Partner Stoves know, the burners won’t light if wet.

7. Ready to use. Setup time 2 minutes.

SuperStove Contents:

Upper Left Compartment: 2 Coffee Pots – Sierra Cups inside one, Bag of Coffee inside the other. Coffee Mate (if we have coffee polluters along). Should be a can of cooking spray.

Top Center Compartment: The Aluminum Foil box mostly hides the Rome Industries “3-Handle Cooker” (the handiest piece of camp cookware ever made – currently not in production) Stored inside the cooker are wine glasses, piezoelectric stove igniter, dish towels)

Left Center Compartment: Stack of Salad/Dessert bowls (behind the little crockery pot full of sugar) and there would typically be a roll of garbage sacks in that compartment.

Right Center Compartment: Woody’s Dutch Oven (hidden behind the zip-lock bag containing salt & pepper and the Mogur’s coffee mug). Matches and leather gloves are inside the D.O.

Upper Right Compartment: Stainless Steel Stock Pot containing a Mirro aluminum nesting cook kit with kettles, pans, plates, etc. Dishwashing soap, should be a roll of paper towels, zip-lock bags on top hold matches, spices, etc.
Lower Left Compartment is a pull-out drawer containing carving knives, an egg beater, cheese grater, pancake flipper.

Lower Center Compartment: There are 3 plastic cutting boards on top of the silverware case—which is a modified fishing tackle box. In addition to the usual kitchen & dining utensils, there are pliers, a wrench for the propane fittings, spare parts for the stove & lanterns, whetstone, etc. (Note: that stray spoon will interfere with the closure of the box.)

Lower Right Compartment: Dinner plates (with tropical fish motif, as I recall), room for a can of Crisco.

Under the stove burners, we typically carry dishwashing tools—scrubbers, sponges, etc. in a mesh bag.

·
Registered
111 Posts
This is the epitome of rafting nerdiness. I've seen many cool mods on frame, rafts, and what now, but this tops it all. :) Genius!

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
This is the epitome of rafting nerdiness. I've seen many cool mods on frame, rafts, and what now, but this tops it all. :) Genius!
Isn't it time that OCD be called what it is?

Obsessive Compulsive Excellence.

The rest of the world is the disorder.

=======

When I grew up many of those OCE persons in school were looked down on and called nerds.
Today they're addressed formally as Boss.

- - - - - - - -

This kitchen should be tagged with its own Satellite/GPS so the rest of us can know where it is at any moment.
Like OR-7.

========

I retire now to study what a "Rome Industries “3-Handle Cooker” is.
seriously.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I retire now to study what a "Rome Industries “3-Handle Cooker” is.
The product is called The Super Cooker, and it was manufactured by Rome Industries in Peoria IL. I wrote to them a couple of years ago when I couldn't find one in any store or catalog. Their reply:

"Thanks for writing. I hate to have to confirm this, but yes we have discontinued the cast aluminum dutch oven. Believe me you’re not the only one upset about it and in fact you can include me in that camp. Unfortunately, we were having a lot of trouble during the production runs which was resulting in a high rate of defectives. While the defects were always caught before leaving the factory it was becoming too much trouble for the foundry and so it reached a point where we were going to have to go elsewhere to have the item cast or drop the item. We’re on the lookout for a new foundry to produce the item for us, but it’s a difficult process due to the trickiness of getting the casting done right plus the somewhat low number of pieces that we make. I’m hopeful that we’ll get things going again in the future, but it will be at least next summer before it happens. If we do come out with it, you’ll see it on Welcome to Rome Industries.com or feel free to check in with me about this time next year. Sorry again for the bad news."

Here it is on the stove top, with the cover off. The cover flips over and serves as a griddle. With the cover on, the skillet can be used as a Dutch Oven (with some inconvenience, since it doesn't have legs).

·
Registered
149 Posts
Kitchen Dry Bag

I'm sure I'll be flamed by those who have spent a lot on dry boxes but I own multiple boats each with a river table and a drop bag and I use an NRS KOSS bag for my kitchen gear which fits on top of the tables or in a compartment of the boats.

I bought one thinking I'd need another but have not needed a second yet. It has no sharp corners or latches, it compresses to fit my trip needs in any size boat and is as waterproof as needed (have not flipped with it, but it is only cooking gear).

It cost a little over $100 and carries a 2 burner stove, one burner stove, lantern in case, dish washing tubs, multiple pots, pans, plates, bowls, utensils, 2 D/Os, grill, griddle, propane tree, hoses, saw, hatchet, bag of charcoal, spice kit, fire blanket, kitchen drop cloth, etc and has room for more plenty more odds and ends. The only thing that does not go in it for cooking is the propane tank and fire pan.

Just food for thought. Usually if you have a good table, then your ahead of most but I've carried gear in this same bag on a 15' Wave Destroyer, Super Puma, 10' Outcast pontoon boat, an Aire Traveler canoe, a Dagger 17' Venture canoe and an Aire Outfitter 2 IK, (not the best fit, but try to do that with a dry box).

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I have three dryboxes but somehow get the others to carry the greasy kitchen shit!!!

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
The product is called The Super Cooker, and it was manufactured by Rome Industries in Peoria IL. I wrote to them a couple of years ago when I couldn't find one in any store or catalog. Their reply:

"Thanks for writing. I hate to have to confirm this, but yes we have discontinued the cast aluminum dutch oven. Believe me you’re not the only one upset about it and in fact you can include me in that camp. Unfortunately, we were having a lot of trouble during the production runs which was resulting in a high rate of defectives. While the defects were always caught before leaving the factory it was becoming too much trouble for the foundry and so it reached a point where we were going to have to go elsewhere to have the item cast or drop the item. We’re on the lookout for a new foundry to produce the item for us, but it’s a difficult process due to the trickiness of getting the casting done right plus the somewhat low number of pieces that we make. I’m hopeful that we’ll get things going again in the future, but it will be at least next summer before it happens. If we do come out with it, you’ll see it on Welcome to Rome Industries.com or feel free to check in with me about this time next year. Sorry again for the bad news."

Here it is on the stove top, with the cover off. The cover flips over and serves as a griddle. With the cover on, the skillet can be used as a Dutch Oven (with some inconvenience, since it doesn't have legs).
Nice setup. Only improvement would be a non shoebox style lid. Love the integrated stove and the flex supports

·
The Old Troll
458 Posts
For your first dry box don't do the kitchen. Then you can do some experimentation and if you have space for another dry box then consider a kitchen box. You'll have a much better idea exactly what you want.

Also remember that the legs for the dry box if stored in the dry box will use valuable space. The slots the legs fit into also use valuable space inside most kitchen boxes.

Kitchen boxes make more sense for large groups. For small groups you will find yourself just opening the box on the raft and removing what you need.

Say the price difference is not an issue would you get a dry box or a kitchen box? What's the reasoning?
Gracias

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
For what it is worth.

Myself and a bunch of other folks have emailed, written and called Rome Industries wanting them to produce the Cooker setup. It is the ideal sized fry pan for the 4 burner Partner Steel stove. And surprisingly does a decent job as a DO. Experiment but we just set the thing down on briquettes and cook away. 18 bottom and 21 top is what we use to bake cakes, corn bread what ever.

I have not checked Rome Industries this year, but last year a bunch of us emailed and called them. The more people that email them, the better the chance of them offering the product again. There may be a few left on little known outfitters shelves, but not many.

Thanks to Tom spotting a few a couple years ago in a Denver Outfitters shelves, I got mine.

dave

1 - 20 of 43 Posts