Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried using one of these as a dry box. I've read some reviews from some survivalists and they indicated that the seal is pretty solid. Seems like they'd be as tight as a rocket box. Any thoughts?

NEW Medical Field Chest #6

·
Registered
442 Posts
I have one. We used it on a couple multi days with no big rapids bow crashing wave rapids. The box stayed dry used it as kitchen box and its nice. The divider in the middle can be removed which is cool. Mine does not seal up as tight as rocket box but its still a good seal just not 100% rocket box sealed. This is the same box I have its about 21" wide outside to outside, seals up pretty tight with the spring loaded latches. The box isn't really that heavy either I got it for 40 bucks from a gun dealer. I would use it, I'm getting a aaa box this winter.

·
Super Moderator
2,929 Posts
I don't think they are heavy to withstand heavy pressure that you can get from waves slapping them. And an unGodly number of latches to deal with. Relatively dry and crush proof but I would not trust one with anything of value like a camera or the TP for the trip.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Airtight and bomber

My kitchen is in one, and my buddy runs his as a bread box. They hiss when opened (airtight) and I have been running them and beating them up for five years now with no leaks. Mine sits in a drop bag and have been swamped with water with no problems at all.

The only downside is the number of latches. It is fine if you are only opening them up once at camp, but they would not work to get in and out of frequently during the day.

They are great for certain applications.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
I have a friend who uses one as her dry box. She's never complained about it after several years of use. I don't think she's ever gone upside down with it, so I'm not sure about 100% watertight capability??? As others have said, it has a lot of latches. Good alternative for the money, if the dimensions fit your frame.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have one and have used it as a kitchen box. actually used it on the grand on one trip, no flips but lots of swamping and never had any water in it. you can put all heavy pots pans etc. in one half and all lighter items in the other half put the divider over the light objects and flip it on top of the heavy stuff and latch her down, works great and that way the center of gravity of the box is nice and low in the raft.

·
Registered
989 Posts
They are big, heavy, and clunky. Not real clean either with all the clasps, and I think there were 10. I got rid of mine after one trip. I much prefer the aluminum box that fits nicely within its bay in the frame.

·
Registered
471 Posts
At the local army surplus store I have watched these for a few years. But none of them ever felt remotely air tight. and the tall lid thing seems inefficient, like a packing puzzle and physical challenge combined.
But they are cheap and will fight off splashes. If you are willing to fidget and maybe end up damp go for it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Everything was dry

I used one for about 8 years. Finally switched to a Frontier Play due to weight. You could get too much gear into the box, and it got darn heavy. THis photo if on the middle fork, a buddy's raft, which we put one on also. Was underwater for about 20 minutes or so. Flipped boat getting it out, but everything stayed dry!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I used one for about 8 years. Finally switched to a Frontier Play due to weight. You could get too much gear into the box, and it got darn heavy. THis photo if on the middle fork, a buddy's raft, which we put one on also. Was underwater for about 20 minutes or so. Flipped boat getting it out, but everything stayed dry!
Looks to have scratched the shit out if your powdercoat

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Ouch!
What rapid?
Good to know that the military surplus box stayed dry.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Ouch!
What rapid?
Thats near the top. Unnamed rapid at low flow I think. The tubes had to be really soft to wrap that badly. Pilot spending too much time enjoying the view. That's my theory

·
Super Moderator
2,929 Posts
The tubes had to be really soft to wrap that badly.
When I crash skiing I always look at my boots too. Usually unbuckling them and then rebuckling is enough to stave off further equipment related issues.

Looks like Tipi Hole rock garden.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
When I crash skiing I always look at my boots too. Usually unbuckling them and then rebuckling is enough to stave off further equipment related issues.

Looks like Tipi Hole rock garden.
I meant to say I've never seen a boat that submerged that wasn't popped or deflated. Did one or more chambers rupture? Ergo, Where did the air go?

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have several "mil grade" boxes of various design (other than rocket boxes). They keep out water to a good degree, but I wouldn't trust them to do so for long when submerged. Some of them are also a lot less crushproof than rocketboxes.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Just low pressure

It was less than an hour down from Launch on MFS. Can't remember the name but it has one. Boat is a friends, threw an oar just before he hit. didn't rupture. Did have to unload most of boat. We were going with the old theory of low water soft raft!!! Raft looks lower in pressure than it was, just looks low that far under water!!!

·
Super Moderator
2,929 Posts
Your friend is not the first to get stuck badly on that rock. I looked it up to be sure.
It is a little pinch above a place we call Tipi Hole. I too have been stuck on this rock but at much lower flows than this. It doesn't take much if you hit that puppy sideways you are done for a bit with air or without low pressure. Pretty sure that avatard posted a pic of someone submerged wrapped on the same rock.

Wide view:

Closer up:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts