Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Plunk your magic twanger!
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to order a dry box (finally) to replace my "semi-dry" 48 gal. Action Packer. I am also considering versatility within my current frame. I have a 4-bay Down River single rail Yampa 2 frame (2" diameter) plus a trailer frame with an opening of 18 1/2". I'm thinking of a custom box from Down River that will fit in the trailer frame and sizing other bays similarly or moving cross-rails if needed to be able to fit it under the Captain's seat or as passenger seating in the front bay. 20mm ammo boxex fit in 18 1/2" so it seems like a good width for vesatility.

I'm struggling with the best width and depth below hang-tabs to order. If I decide to move it into a bay where I will have bottom rails, is it better to maximize the width between the tubes and get a box 4" wider to sit on top of the bottom rails? I could also have a cross-bar beneah the box that wouldn't need to moved. The tubes are 26" and the rails drop to 12 inches so I would not have a rubbing conern since the tubes would be diminishing to to top rail. Or, should I order a box that is 4" narrower but 2 inches deeper and move any crossbars so that it will hang to the lowest bottom rail height.

My brain is telling me I will maximize space by hanging the box to the bottom heigth of the rails (2" X 38" X 18"" vs. 2(2" X 10" X 18").

Please let me know if you have have made a decision similar to my current dilemma and if you are happy with your choice. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
I'm trying to visualize your problem. 2 X 38 X 18 or 2 X 10 X 18 isn't making sense to me???
I used a 66 inch wide NRS yoke cat frame, which is 33 inches between tubes, or 33 inches between the center of one bottom rail to the center of the other. I used a 34 inch wide dry box. I went with a 13 inch tall box, with the hang tabs 3 inches below the top, which left 10 inches below the cross bars. With that height, the box didn't sit on the bottom rails, and because of the diminishing tube size that you mentioned, the boxes didn't touch or rub on the tubes. I have two dry boxes, one is 16X34X13, and the other is 14X34X13. I'd say, grab a tape measure and see what the width is from the center of one bottom/drop rail to the center of the other. I would call that your max width if you want your box to sit on these rails. Then figure the depth from the top of your cross bar to your bottom/drop rail to get your height. It's up to you, whether you want the box to sit on the bottom rail or not. I chose to have one inch more width & raise it up slightly off the rail to avoid any rubbing. I hope this helps with your question?

·
El Chupanibre
133 Posts
I'm thinking of a custom box from Down River that will fit in the trailer frame and sizing other bays similarly or moving cross-rails if needed to be able to fit it under the Captain's seat or as passenger seating in the front bay.

I purchased a custom dry box from DRE this fall. I could not be happier with the product. Bombproof.

·
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Youve been in the g & t again havent you? Go for the larger one
Exactly! The larger box is the one that would drop two inches deeper but be four inches narrower to fit between the bottom rails. If I were to line cans of beer across the bottom (2" X 38" X 18"), versus stacking them in the four inches gained (2(2" X 10" X 18")) in a wider but shallower box, I think I could fit an additional case.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
I'm still voting for wider & shallower.

·
I'm still voting for wider & shallower.
Based on how beat up the cross bars are on my cat frame, I'm with you on this. Keep the bottom of the box up a bit.

Unless you NEVER run boney rivers.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Thank you everyone for your input. I know the end products will be great! I will try to not overthink it and place an order soon.
Dude. You can't leave us hanging. What size did you order? :confused:

·
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Down River has been closed for the holidays so I am still mulling it over. Changing one thing is going to change everything!

I'm leaning towards the shallower version. I took things apart on Saturday and saw how beat up the drop bag my cooler is riding in has gotten so I agree about keeping it higher. I was concerned it might shift more if it sat above the frame but I can minimize that with my top decks. The shallower dry box will give me the most vesatility to move it to different bays without moving the crossbars between the bottom rails.

My overall plan is to move my rowing position forwsrd which will change my passengers seating options. It may not work out as well as I am thinking it will and might need to change things again or for day trips versus multiday trips.

·
Banned
116 Posts
Exactly! The larger box is the one that would drop two inches deeper but be four inches narrower to fit between the bottom rails. If I were to line cans of beer across the bottom (2" X 38" X 18"), versus stacking them in the four inches gained (2(2" X 10" X 18")) in a wider but shallower box, I think I could fit an additional case.
I am confused on the sizing, is this box only going to be 2" tall
what size are you trying to achieve H xW xL

·
Registered
61 Posts
Have been formally diagnosed with OCD?
Aside from focusing solely on capacity, which you seem to have been corrected on regarding rock clearance, you also have to consider how it will change your frame layout. You can't just expand the rowers seat bay (or front bay) without accounting for the change in cockpit length for proper leg extension.

If you really want max storage, you can make it taller, and get rid of your elevated captains seat. You can simply install foam, a paco pad, or mount a real seat to the lid, to use it as a rower's seat. You can also make it the same height as the largest cooler to be used, that way you can make a sleeping platform easier by bridging between them.

One thing I would take into account is clearance for a 1/2-3/4" floor on top of your bottom side rails. That is a very common addition to cats, especially for longer trips.

Lastly, if you are going to get a custom box, you can get the sides flared/angled to clear the tubes. You end up with a good bit of extra room on the sides that is a great stash place for things that would otherwise disappear into the black hole. Custom boxes usually don't cost any more than normal boxes (except the imported ones), so unless time is an issue, custom is the way to go. Any sheet metal shop can make one. Just don't make a bunch of last minute changes, or bog the guy down with asking a hundred questions. Make a detailed dimensional drawing, and hand it to them. If you have a local fab shop that specialized in rafting gear, like Downriver, it's really nice because they know exactly what you need, and can ask you the right questions to avoid issues.

·
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Have been formally diagnosed with OCD?
Aside from focusing solely on capacity, which you seem to have been corrected on regarding rock clearance, you also have to consider how it will change your frame layout. You can't just expand the rowers seat bay (or front bay) without accounting for the change in cockpit length for proper leg extension.

If you really want max storage, you can make it taller, and get rid of your elevated captains seat. You can simply install foam, a paco pad, or mount a real seat to the lid, to use it as a rower's seat. You can also make it the same height as the largest cooler to be used, that way you can make a sleeping platform easier by bridging between them.

One thing I would take into account is clearance for a 1/2-3/4" floor on top of your bottom side rails. That is a very common addition to cats, especially for longer trips.

Lastly, if you are going to get a custom box, you can get the sides flared/angled to clear the tubes. You end up with a good bit of extra room on the sides that is a great stash place for things that would otherwise disappear into the black hole. Custom boxes usually don't cost any more than normal boxes (except the imported ones), so unless time is an issue, custom is the way to go. Any sheet metal shop can make one. Just don't make a bunch of last minute changes, or bog the guy down with asking a hundred questions. Make a detailed dimensional drawing, and hand it to them. If you have a local fab shop that specialized in rafting gear, like Downriver, it's really nice because they know exactly what you need, and can ask you the right questions to avoid issues.
Thanks for the good info! My trailer frame bay is 18.5" inches (to fit 20mm cans) so I might as well size it to fit. The four bays on my frame are divided within 86 inches so I can fit it in any position. I am going to sit on the cooler and have a plan to adjust the seat forward or back on the lid to accomodate my leg extention as well as my wife's smaller size.

I like the idea of the flared sides and will ask Down River about that!

·
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OCD, gremlins winter fix for the lack of rafting, just wait till he has to stop......
Bingo! I took supercat out Friday and took her apart Saturday. That is when this all began:cry:

Billboard Beach no longer depicts a 40' river rock dick so my work is done for the season!

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Bingo! I took supercat out Friday and took her apart Saturday. That is when this all began:cry:
That's the way it starts. You're messing around with stuff, and next thing you know you're reconfiguring your whole set-up. It goes like this....."What if I did this? Hmmmm. Then I'd have to do this. Hmmmm. That would be cool, but then I'd need new these. Hmmmm." Next thing you know your frame is completely different & your bank account is completely empty. But you are happy and you can't wait for spring so you can try it out. It's a sad disease that I know all too well. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts