Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Mountain Buzz,
I am pretty new to rafting, but I have enjoyed reading your community for years before I finally purchased a Maravia Diablo from a guy on Craigslist in Boise last June. The raft came with two dry boxes that were the rower's seat and the passenger's seat. I replaced them with drop bags after my wife had her foot pinched between the floor and the bottom of the box. The drop bags have worked great, but all we have done are day trips down the Main Fork of the Payette and the Alpine Canyon on the Snake. This summer I would like to try camping with the raft. I plan on packing all my camp kitchen stuff in the dry boxes and remove the drop bags from the raft for the overnighter. I was thinking of selling one of dry boxes and buying a new kitchen box with legs for convenience in camp. However, I have a friend who has the equipment to weld aluminum... And I thought why not have him fabricate some legs and weld some brackets to the side of one of the boxes like Mad Cow does and turn my one of my dry boxes into a kitchen box. That would be a lot less expensive route. I guess my question for the Buzz is: Has anyone else tried this? I have done a search through past threads and cannot find any prior reference to my question. I believe my boxes were made by Cambridge. Do kitchen boxes have any special reinforcement on the side where the legs attach? Do you think my idea will work? Is there any reason why it will not? Any suggestions about how I should do it?
Below is a picture of the bracket and legs I was thinking of copying.
View attachment 9678

·
Registered
385 Posts
Do it. No, most kitchen boxes are not reinforced. If you are worried, have your buddy weld a small backer plate inside the box. You don't need it though.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I will probably need to redo the door leash. It has one nylon strap attached to a rivet in the middle of the lid. And it doesn't hang level when the box is opened horizontally like a kitchen box.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
385 Posts
You might consider a leash on both sides if you are going to load the lid. You can use those little turnbuckles to even them up too.

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
This works great for leash, is easy to level and cheap

·
Registered
244 Posts
Why not sell one of the boxes and buy a kitchen box? You'll probably lose a hundred bucks or so on the deal, but I think the made to order kitchen box is better than a retro-fit.

·
Registered
32 Posts
You could also just put your box on the ground. You wouldn't have to worry about stability or adding extra parts. I have never had a standing kitchen box but worry about it falling over if it is windy or something.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts