Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just heard on the news of a drowning and 2 missing on the numbers. Anyone know about this?
Thought and prayers are with family and friends

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Not much yet, sounds like a rafting accident:

9NEWS.com | Colorado's Online News Leader | 1 drowned, 2 missing on Arkansas River

"SALIDA - At least one person has drowned and authorities are searching for two more after a rafting accident on the Arkansas River.

The accident happened on Tuesday afternoon on the stretch of the river between Leadville and Buena Vista, according to Colorado State Parks.

A total of four people were in the raft, part of a private group, when the accident happened.

Authorities have confirmed that one person is dead and are searching for two others near the launch area of a part of the river called the Numbers.

The fourth person was taken to a hospital in Salida.

The names of the victims were not immediately released."

Condolences to those involved.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Word through the grapevine is a private trip flipped in Pine Creek and they recovered a body at #5. Hope they find the other two alive.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Looks like two people passed in the Numbers today, two more made it ok.

The accident happened on Tuesday afternoon on the stretch of the river between Leadville and Buena Vista, according to Colorado State Parks.

A total of four people were in the raft, part of a private group, when the accident happened.

According to Mary Lee Bensman with The Chaffee County Times, the raft flipped over after noon just after putting at the start of an area of the river called The Numbers.

The Chaffee County Coroner says two men drowned in the accident and two others, a man and a woman, survived.

Authorities had to search for some of the rafters after the accident and the search centered around the launch point.

The names of the victims were not immediately released and there were no details on the conditions of the two survivors.

Bensman says the river is very high and The Numbers is a dangerous section to raft.

(Copyright KUSA*TV, All Rights Reserved)

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
why do you all keep reposting the same thing? wait until there is some new info...
my condolences to the family and friends of those involved...

·
Registered
88 Posts
From what was witnessed on scene, it appears that the raft flipped in Pine Creek. One victim was pronounced at the Numbers Put-in and the second victim was recovered at the small take-out below the Mt. Harvard Estates bridge, transported and pronounced at the hospital.

It appeared to be a private trip.

·
Registered
27 Posts
From a rescuer on scene ( who wants to appear nameless)

At approximately 12.15pm we were paged for a victim in the water, floating with no helmet or life vest. Apparently a private boat had flipped in number 5

north of buena vista. 3 other people did get to dry land. When there is a confirmed possible drowning in the river, all 3 agencies have assigned positions in the river

for a rescue, depending on where the report is. Chaffee County fire goes to Otero pump station, and railroad bridge put in, Buena vista Fire goes to the river park

on East Main street. Salida fire goes to there spot north of salida at stone bridge, and I believe AHRA goes to Ruby Mtn.

Todays call; Chaffee County fire missed the dead body at railroad bridge and they also missed at mt. harvard estates. We got the body out of the

water at the river park, deceased..

·
Registered
88 Posts
From a rescuer on scene ( who wants to appear nameless)

At approximately 12.15pm we were paged for a victim in the water, floating with no helmet or life vest. Apparently a private boat had flipped in number 5

north of buena vista. 3 other people did get to dry land. When there is a confirmed possible drowning in the river, all 3 agencies have assigned positions in the river

for a rescue, depending on where the report is. Chaffee County fire goes to Otero pump station, and railroad bridge put in, Buena vista Fire goes to the river park

on East Main street. Salida fire goes to there spot north of salida at stone bridge, and I believe AHRA goes to Ruby Mtn.

Todays call; Chaffee County fire missed the dead body at railroad bridge and they also missed at mt. harvard estates. We got the body out of the

water at the river park, deceased..
I'm not sure of where or from whom you received your information from but it is far from accurate.

First of all, there are no predetermined response areas or ‘assigned positions’ for any of the responding agencies you mentioned.

At no point was the raft at or near Rapid #5. By all accounts the raft flipped upstream of the Numbers Put-in where the first victim was brought to shore and pronounced dead at the scene.

Further, no one ‘missed the dead body’. The rescue was a well coordinated effort between Chaffee County Fire, Chaffee County Search and Rescue, Salida Fire, AHRA, Chaffee County EMS, Buena Vista Fire. All agencies were under unified command through CCFPD. In my opinion, all of agencies involved (both paid and volunteer) did an admirable job and should be commended for their efforts.

Lastly, I don’t know who is saying they got the body out of the water at the river park. The second victim was removed from the water less than 1 mile downstream of the Mt. Harvard Estates Bridge on river right.

The second victim had on a silk weight t-shirt and a pfd when he was removed from the river. He did not have a helmet on at that time.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Very sad for all involved... I just posted an email from an individual who said he was part of the effort. I know that people grasp for any info and thought my source was accurate. Apologies in order.

·
Kayak/SUP Instructor
1,332 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts