1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Thanks for posting that.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Good info. I was a lifeguard forever and I have seen this time and time again. The most dramatic cases are the kids. They just sink. No sound, no indication they went under. They just get out over their head or jump in and don't come back up. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hola Laura,
At first glance I was thinking the same way but after further reflection I started to recall some of the folks I've come across at the put-in who were about to launch with little better than a pool toy for a boat and inadequate (if any at all) PFDs, putting their loved ones at great risk. It seems to me that we, the equipped and experienced river rat type might be the only help these people get when their day goes bad.

On the other hand, I have also been witness to solid boaters who after a beat down, seemed incapable of helping themselves out of the bad place they were in. I suppose the larger point of the article is the sooner a potential rescuer identifies the dire situation, the sooner a rescue effort can be mounted. Like the story says, once the victim is in trouble, the time to help could be very short indeed.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Thanks for posting... Shared on my facebook as well.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Hola Laura,
At first glance I was thinking the same way but after further reflection I started to recall some of the folks I've come across at the put-in who were about to launch with little better than a pool toy for a boat and inadequate (if any at all) PFDs, putting their loved ones at great risk. It seems to me that we, the equipped and experienced river rat type might be the only help these people get when their day goes bad.

On the other hand, I have also been witness to solid boaters who after a beat down, seemed incapable of helping themselves out of the bad place they were in. I suppose the larger point of the article is the sooner a potential rescuer identifies the dire situation, the sooner a rescue effort can be mounted. Like the story says, once the victim is in trouble, the time to help could be very short indeed.
Very good points, you are absolutely right!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts