Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am moving to Bellingham, WA in a week and trying to figure which route through the west would be best. I would like to have the best option to boat (class III-V) if I have enough time and also want to enjoy the best scenery.

I'm coming for North Carolina with two possible routes. They are the same until I hit southeast Nebraska where I can either take I-80 W or I-90 W. I have never driven through the entire west and was wondering what you guys think my best option would be.

Here's a link to my mapquest: MapQuest Maps - Driving Directions - Map

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
711 Posts
I would take the Montana route, only because I know what it's like to drive across Wyoming. Also, Montana has good day trip boating, Wyoming nothing.

Deciding factor could be based upon the different routes crossing idaho. I've been there, but can't say what the difference is with the two routes for boating options.

·
Registered
187 Posts
If it were me I would take the northern route. Northern Montana and Idaho are gorgeous. Missoula has a great paddling community and generally has water somewhere. Talk to the guys at Strong Water, they will give you the beta. Plus Glacier NP is just a little out of the way and spectacular.

The route through southern Idaho may have some water options still: low flow Murtough...? It will be less mountainous so a quicker drive.

I haven't driven either route through Oregon or Washington so no beta there.

The trek across the middle of the country is brutal and long, I have found books on tape to be a great companion.

Safe travels.

·
Spits Hot Fire
978 Posts
Northern route. I'll be there a week after you(moving). Hit me up if you want to paddle somethin.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Teletumbler is right. How could I not have written about Glacier Park? One of the best weeks of non-boating camping I ever did. You have to go that way.

·
Registered
575 Posts
North will be a much shorter drive for you because the curve of the earth comes into play.

Yay for Bellingham! I miss that town!

·
Registered
476 Posts
I loved living in Bellingham! Good boating community up there. As for I-90, shoot- you can practically pull off the side of the freeway and boat the Snoqualmie. Tieton opened today too (dam release)- it's a fast III with warm water and great scenery. Enjoy!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts