Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi- has anyone taken a drift boat on Ruby-Horsethief? We have a Hyde. We’ve done Ruby in our raft, but haven’t tried the drift boat. Any concerns? This is for a put-in this weekend (fall/low flow). Thanks!

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Took my largish Briggs style Dory down last week and it was a hoot. I'm sure a smaller lighter Driftboat would be a better match. I'd recommend NOT staying at Black Rock 2 since its kinda rocky. You'll have to choose you path well, but its no big deal. I definitely scrapped the bottom a few times but my boat is pretty heavy compared to a fishing Driftboat.

I say let er rip.

Doing Westwater down is another matter....but I suspect you knew that. No comment on how it went for me :rolleyes:.

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
Yep, is way doable, I've taken my 14 foot dory down, no problem. Westwater isn't a problem, over 4K cfs. Below that, for me anyway, is too bony.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! We are not doing WW this time and not staying at Black Rocks, so we should be good to go.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Yes, drift boat works great on Loma to Westwater. I try to do it at least once a year (16' Boulder Boatworks high side). Only problem: the mud and silt in that section of the river makes my boat filthy!

·
Registered
408 Posts
As mentioned, a lot of camps are kinda rocky. I bring a tail anchor and after unloading, I "suspend" the dory a few feet off the shore

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
Anchors are key, I take 2 when I'm on Grand Canyon... Had to use both of them a couple of times.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts