Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there.
My group is launching from Sand Wash on August 13; a few rafts and a drift boat. It's our first time down Deso. It suddenly occurred to me that I've not seen really any info on running a hard boat on that stretch. My buddy running his wooden drift boat is very experienced. Do you guys see any problems with that plan? I've been watching all of the current Deso posts and know it's low and slow. His driftboat has a uhmw bottom so it can bump and slide on rocks quite well.
Thanks for any input.

--SpoonMan--

·
Registered
14 Posts
We ran it a few years ago in round boats at 1800cfs. I used to guide and have experience in drift boats. If you can read water shouldn’t be a problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I took my Briggs Dory down on July 3rd. There was about 2200 cfs at the take out. I ran it mostly clean. One hit in a braided section of the river but other that that it was all good. I only had a couple splashes come over the sides.
I would recommend running pretty light in the hard boat and definitely going to be some moving around.
Joe Hutch Canyon Rapid was probably the most difficult. I didn't scout it but not sure if it would of helped much. I ran hard left and made it through clean.
Good luck and have fun.
R3

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just took off yesterday. LOW water, lots of rock dodging, lots of scraping over the ones I couldn't dodge. Run behind the rafts so they can find the sleepers for you. Take the left channel around the island before Range Creek rapid. We ran right thinking more water went that way, and faced a crazy tight rock garden, then a hard ferry for a floatable line.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts