Mountain Buzz banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,792 Posts
Doing my “mise en plàce”…

Toying with 2 different material options. I’m weighing material cost, workability, and drainage characteristics.
Don't forget abrasion characteristics :cool:

Reactions: Bootboy

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
IMHO, you shouldn’t have to pull your bag out of the water for a rapid, as NRS recommends. Unless it was some rocky horror show, the bag should do it’s damned job and protect its precious cargo.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Doing my “mise en plàce”…

Toying with 2 different material options. I’m weighing material cost, workability, and drainage characteristics.
Adding some small amount of flotation to the bag as well will help keep it higher in the water and on the off chance it does come unhitched it will stay afloat better. I made 9 drag bags, one for every boat on our grand trip back in 2016 and folks who failed to use a locker or other secure method of attachment lost their drag bags pretty quickly. Even though they were relatively full they went down like a submarine. None that came loose were ever found.

I made them out of 1000d nylon and some super heavy truck tarp mesh. I still have two of them that I made and they are going strong with two GC trips and 2 MFS and Selway trips as well as a few other trips. I made some drag bags in the earlier stages of my raft gear sewing that looked great but the materials failed to hold up adequately.

I do like to sew on two long connection points similar to how a haul bag is made, in the case of an impact you are not relying on a single d-ring or other suspect connection point to hold up.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
taking the drag bag out of the water when entering a rapid depends I think.

If the rapid's line is relatively deep and free of rocks should be ok to leave the drag bag in the water

I learned the hard way that rocks can easily puncture beer cans in places I thought were safe. Drag bag showed no damage but multiple cans were punched. Boating in places like Idaho, Montana etc with cold rivers, I enjoy river cooled beers and soda. Even if I only put the drag bag out when we are on the beach beers cool down pretty good. But on most SW rivers, NM, Utah, and so forth I got a bigger cooler, glued on extra foam on cooler top and keep my drinks in the cooler. I am one of those rafters that think a cold beer or soda at the take out or last day's rowing is worth the cost in hi dollar coolers and more care on the river. Also enjoying a glass full of ice and Jack D is a real treat when camp is set up and we are relaxing before dinner prep.

·
Premium Member
4,792 Posts
That’s the primary consideration already accounted for with the 2 fabrics in question
Should have figured you would have thought of that, you being you and all..

Reactions: Bootboy

·
Registered
405 Posts
I no longer use drag bags. As the name implies, they create a ton of drag. This drag really impacts the steering of the raft. I found this out while guiding some paddlers down the river. I had a little 100 pound girl who was turning the boat to the right. I kept yelling at the three big burly guys on the right tube to paddle harder. It was just the drag bag turning the boat to the right. I haven’t carried one since.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I don't like using a drag bag because of the perception that the drag is affecting the manuavertibilty of my barge. That and the fact that my bag is a mesh POS and my rivers aren't cold enough for adequate drinking.
Here's what I do: When arriving at camp, move hot beer from dry storage to mesh bag in the eddy to get "cool". In the morning swap cool beers from the bag into the main cooler to get properly cold, while transferring "cold" beers into the day cooler. Rinse and repete.

·
Vendor
79 Posts
We offer a stainless steel mesh drag bag. We wont claim to be cheap, but it can double as a critter proof sack as well. It has 2" velcro along the top.

Outerwear Sleeve Bag Rectangle Grey

Use the Canyon Drag Bag to cool your beverages in the closest river, pack out your trash, carry loose items up to camp, and hang food up above the critters - it's a truly multi purpose tool!

Featuring rugged critter proof stainless steel mesh for maximum durability.

Its generous size, 18" W x 23" H, will pack a large load of about 24 cans. The heavy Velcro seal will keep the contents where they belong

Snap a carabiner or cam strap to the grommet or loop strap to attach it to your boat. Use the strap or carabiner to carry or hang the bag.

100% Made in the USA,, well Flagstaff Arizona to be exact.

·
Registered
246 Posts
We offer a stainless steel mesh drag bag. We wont claim to be cheap, but it can double as a critter proof sack as well. It has 2" velcro along the top.

View attachment 78653

Use the Canyon Drag Bag to cool your beverages in the closest river, pack out your trash, carry loose items up to camp, and hang food up above the critters - it's a truly multi purpose tool!

Featuring rugged critter proof stainless steel mesh for maximum durability.

Its generous size, 18" W x 23" H, will pack a large load of about 24 cans. The heavy Velcro seal will keep the contents where they belong

Snap a carabiner or cam strap to the grommet or loop strap to attach it to your boat. Use the strap or carabiner to carry or hang the bag.

100% Made in the USA,, well Flagstaff Arizona to be exact.
Planning to try one of these behind my snout next year. The owner personally assured me I couldn’t tear it up, even behind a motor rig.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I have what I'm pretty sure is the most durable solution of those listed above.

I had an old pelican case that I wasn't using (actually a different brand, but similar quality), so I drilled a bunch of holes of various size and distribution, left the open cell foam in there for cusion, and now I have a crush and puncture-proof 6-pack chiller.

Worked great on The Grand in '15.

I'd suspect the cheap box store versions of these kinds of boxes would be good enough for this purpose and would save you some money... just pick the size that holds the amount of beer you want. My intention was 6 per day with this and it can always be re-filled.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Rim Gas
Automotive lighting Gas Motor vehicle Machine Auto part
Automotive lighting Rectangle Bumper Wood Gas

·
Registered
670 Posts
Still working on things over here. The hang up for now is what to do for a closure mechanism.

Free time was severely infringed on this week by being on call for my hospital job.

Just a reminder to look after your health my dudes. Summer is indeed heart attack season.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Actually thinking I’ll go to festival tomorrow and see about crewing in a paddle raft ??? Isn’t rowing cause I got no nerve or oars!!! Bwahaha! Going to take the camera to and gets some action shots of the boy’s racing and face the rock, ask it nicely to fuck right off and let me go around!!!

21 - 40 of 49 Posts