Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not sure a drag bag qualifies as "rafting gear", but I am wondering if anyone has found a great solution for one. I have been rafting for 30 years and have tried many different bags over the years and often find it frustrating to manage. But, I am about to embark on back-to-back Deso and Rogue trips, with less cooler space than I need for my beer allowance. I don't really think drinking less is an option.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
203 Posts
I started with a couple of those cheap cinching mesh bags that snorkel/scuba folks use for their fins, but the mesh wasn't very fine so they had a tendency to snag on stuff when closer to shore and eventually all tore (RIP PBRs). Got the NRS one and have lost no beers since..though would consider the ones made with that vinyl-coated mesh superior still (Sol, Tuff River Stuff, SnS, Cascade). Keep meaning to stop by Wet Dreams and get one of theirs, as I like the design and loop; but the Stitches N Stuff (also in Grand Junction) one is pretty nice too so perhaps close 2nd choice (bigger & cheaper too).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Like upacreek, I've tried the cheap mesh bags (laundry/snorkeling) and they tend not to last. And you may not notice they've been torn until you see your beer floating next to the raft.

Even though they are pricey, I sprung for the NRS bags. They are durable and the D-ring makes hooking them onto the boat with a carabiner easy and secure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I started with a couple of those cheap cinching mesh bags that snorkel/scuba folks use for their fins, but the mesh wasn't very fine so they had a tendency to snag on stuff when closer to shore and eventually all tore (RIP PBRs). Got the NRS one and have lost no beers since..though would consider the ones made with that vinyl-coated mesh superior still (Sol, Tuff River Stuff, SnS, Cascade). Keep meaning to stop by Wet Dreams and get one of theirs, as I like the design and loop; but the Stitches N Stuff (also in Grand Junction) one is pretty nice too so perhaps close 2nd choice (bigger & cheaper too).
Thanks! I'm driving through Grand Junction so maybe I will look at Stitches and Stuff.

·
Premium Member
4,739 Posts
tuff river stuff in salida co
+1 fot tuffriverstuff. My drag bag from them has at least 6 GC trips on it, and it looks like new.. Often imitated, but best IMHO. It's a veteran owned company, and the owner has been afflicted with MS for years, and is still cranking out the gear. Support River Rat Ray, he's a great guy and makes the best gear.

(Disclaimer, I commercially boated with him back in the 90's, and still have the straps he made in his living room back then, he's a good friend an an awesome person)

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I always thought a small climbing haul bag would be the ultimate drag bag. They’re indestructible. Ten time as burly as the NRS bag, cost is quite different ($99.95 vs $37.95), but you’d never need more than one. That cheesy single-point d-ring attachment on the NRS bag bothers me. Haul bags have two 2” webbing loops. Bomber strong.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
You don't need a drag bag, I will carry your beer...
Dude. They make several sizes in the haul bags. You could sleep in mine comfortably. I don’t know if you want to haul that. Anyway, that’s why I bring Charlie along. I told him one day that hauling all that beer would make his boat more stable, and he bought it. So, I really don’t want to tell him now………

1 - 20 of 49 Posts