Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an NRS Bighorn frame that is too big to fit in garage unless broken down. How hard is weather on aluminum parts? Seats?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hang it

Have you tried hanging it from the ceiling, up up and away, like maybe in the rafters (no pun intended).

·
Registered
556 Posts
My seats fare how you'd expect, not had to replace ever.

BUT- this winter my foot bar must have still had water in it cause it appears to have froze & split the aluminum when it expanded. Only problem I've ever had in 10+ years of storing frames outside.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I think the ubolts and nuts may corrode if you leave it outside. +1 for hanging from the ceiling. These, http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...i_sku=SPM7704196010&sid=IDx20130125xMPTLSx025, work perfect for hanging the frame. I use 4 of them: On one end I hook the front crossbar. the other two are slightly further away than my back crossbar and I use straps to hold the frame in place. I put a lynch pin on my footbar so I can pull it and rotate the frame to flat.

I have two hooks per oar too and have all my oars hanging from the ceiling as well.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
My seats fare how you'd expect, not had to replace ever.

BUT- this winter my foot bar must have still had water in it cause it appears to have froze & split the aluminum when it expanded. Only problem I've ever had in 10+ years of storing frames outside.
Good reason to add a weep hole if the frost didn't make one for you already

·
Registered
819 Posts
The only problem I can think of is if water collects inside a tube and then freezes. The tubing might split. I drilled drain holes in all of my frames.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I think the ubolts and nuts may corrode if you leave it outside. +1 for hanging from the ceiling. These, http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM681872201P?PDP_REDIRECT=false&ci_src=184425893&ci_sku=SPM7704196010&sid=IDx20130125xMPTLSx025, work perfect for hanging the frame. I use 4 of them: On one end I hook the front crossbar. the other two are slightly further away than my back crossbar and I use straps to hold the frame in place. I put a lynch pin on my footbar so I can pull it and rotate the frame to flat.

I have two hooks per oar too and have all my oars hanging from the ceiling as well.
The ubolts are stainless but they provide zinc washers and nylocks which will rust. It would have probably cost them $0.30 extra per lowpro to supply stainless all around

The anodized aluminum will be fine. Anything like a seat should be removed before outdoor storage

·
aka The Curmudgeon
354 Posts
I've had a couple of DRE Frames and NRS stern frame. They do great outside, the anodizing works as intended. Over time the steel parts get "welded" to the aluminum due to a galvanic reaction, but I don't think weather makes it worse.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
+1 for garage. I don't think the al-you-minium will weather, but the plastic seats might not have the same fate. If you have to break down, just mark where you have everything anchored/clamped so you won't have to re-invent your frame.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Just go by lowes, home depot or hardware store

and pick up a box of stainless steel washers and lock nuts. The NRS frames use a standard size. Set the frame on some saw horses or boxes and spend a hour replacing the NRS nuts and washers that rust with stainless steel ones. Congratulate your self on solving a problem and go drink your favorite beverage as a reward for a job done well.

That is what I did on two NRS frames that were stored outdoors for years and after the Stainless replaced to regular steel, zero rust.

if you are worried about the SS "welding to the aluminum, go by your local sailing shop or west marine catalog and get a little tube of paste that prevents the "welding".

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks. Hanging from rafters won't work for me as the garage was built in 1929. Maybe a good reason to re-build it to two stories.
I can put covers on the seats to keep sun off.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Just wrap the seat and bar in a cheapo tarp if storing outside.

Brilliant ideas on drilling drain holes in the bars.

The washers do rust onto bolts but they are cheap to replace every couple of years.

Phillip

·
Registered
10 Posts
The weather is tough on seats and hardens the rubber end plugs after a few seasons. As others have said, it also rusts the Low Pro nuts and washers. Personally, I hang my frame in the garage. I have river buds that store theirs in their lawnmower shed on top of the weedwacker and mower. Others stand their frames on end under the eve of the house and cover with one of those ubiquitous blue tarps.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
What's wrong with taking it apart for winter storage. That's one of the things I like about my NRS frames. Take them apart every winter and store then on a shelf in the garage. Put them together in the spring.
OP....do you have room in the garage for the parts? A shelf to store them on? Room to hang the frame on a side wall of the garage?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To clarify, "storage" is not retiring it for the entire winter as we get most of our water then. I just need it out of the way but ready to go when needed.
Thanks again

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
To clarify, "storage" is not retiring it for the entire winter as we get most of our water then. I just need it out of the way but ready to go when needed.
Thanks again
Oops, sorry. Should have looked at where you're located. My frames stay outside all summer with no problem. I take them apart & store in the garage in the winter.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts