Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a new Dagger Nomad this season. I really like the boat but after several outings I noticed that the drain plug threads (which are molded into the boat) are practically non-existent, and they seem to be deteriorating rapidly with use.

I would assume that this would be a warranty issue but my experience so far confirms all the chatter that the guys at confluence aren't interested in standing behind their products. The local boat shop has been calling them for over a week and they won't return a single message. I emailed them photos and no word back at all. Anyone thinking about a Dagger or Wavesport should consider that the boat has no warranty. I suppose if you were persistent enough you might get a response but how much is your time worth, by now I could have bought half a new boat with all the time I've spent and I can't even get the warranty process started. It's very disappointing, I like the Dagger boats but I'm not going to buy something with no warranty again.

Anyhow, working on the assumption that I'm on my own now, does anyone have a recommendation of how to fix this or get it fixed? It's not a very structural thing, could material be added and the threads re-formed with plastic welding, if so who would you recommend Colorado? I could bore it out and get a replacement drain plug and sleeve to bond in, so what would be the best glue for Kayak plastic where could I get a drain plug?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks. joel-

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
In my limited experience, Dagger has been good and has kept there word on warranties, at least when they should. However, I'm skeptical that they would be willing to replace a boat for a drain plug issue that does not affect the structure of the boat (I wouldn't give a guy a new boat just because the drainplug threads were stripping). So even if they do offer to help, I would think the most they would do is replace the drainplug for you. And then your looking at not having your boat for a while and all that pain and hassle. I think your best bet is to deal with it yourself. If you want it dry, just fill the hole with some caulk and aquaseal. If you want it functional, get a replacement from Dagger or a shop, pull out the old one, put in the new one, and aquaseal the seams.

COUNT

·
Registered
971 Posts
Try sending Hobie a private message. (Use "Hobie" as the screen name). He works for Dagger and he could point you in the right direction. He is very responsive for Dagger questions or concerns, and would be a good person to give any feedback regarding communication difficulties to. They will want to keep you as a customer and will try to help you I bet.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In my limited experience, Dagger has been good and has kept there word on warranties, at least when they should. However, I'm skeptical that they would be willing to replace a boat for a drain plug issue that does not affect the structure of the boat (I wouldn't give a guy a new boat just because the drainplug threads were stripping). So even if they do offer to help, I would think the most they would do is replace the drainplug for you. And then your looking at not having your boat for a while and all that pain and hassle. I think your best bet is to deal with it yourself. If you want it dry, just fill the hole with some caulk and aquaseal. If you want it functional, get a replacement from Dagger or a shop, pull out the old one, put in the new one, and aquaseal the seams.

COUNT
so the female threads are molded in the boat plastic, otherwise I'd just order a replacement plug and be done. My concern is how big I can drill out to bond a new plug liner and still have some plastic left to bond to.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Oh yeah. I forgot the new Daggers were like that. I defer to Hobie.

COUNT

·
Registered
882 Posts
If Dagger won't warranty of it, I'd permanently plug the old one, maybe even get it welded shut. Then install the aftermarket on the other side of the stern.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
duct tape......

·
Registered
400 Posts
Seems like a design problem. Definitely talk to Hobie.

I've installed a harmony drain plug if you need the hole saw or anything.

J

·
Registered
834 Posts
I'm with the guys who say to caulk it or use duct tape. That's what I do. Drain plugs that don't work are a pain and I don't mess with them. I like my playboat that doesn't have a drainplug. I wouldn't mind if my creekboats were the same...one less hole to mess with.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Sorry I just read this. The title didnt draw my attention but I found this as I searched (I also just got your pm). I mailed you back with stuff to send me so I can get the ball rolling for you.

hobie
Dagger Kayaks

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
I can't resist. . .
It sounds like WS is sucking big time and needs to get their act together. I think we get the drift: the cockpits are cracking, WS is leaving shops out to dry, the reps are "powerless", and customers are getting the runaround.

Jackson is the greatest, huggiest, warm n'fuzzy boating company on the planet. Great boats, great team, family business, etc. If your boat has a problem you click your heels together and you get a brand new boat. Whoopie!

Your drain plug threads are wearing out and you want to bash Dagger on mountainbuzz because you can't "get any answers?" Give me a break!!! Call a shop - buy a plug repair kit and a box of tissues and then move on! Worse - if you are a cheap schmuck like me, get duck tape, plug the damn thing, and get back on the river.

What the heck is it with everyone on this site lately? Post something about your great trip over the weekend, a new first descent, how to perfect your offside roll, or at least reopen the debate about whether the Numbers is Class III or Class IV. BSOE or Double a Ron - do something!

Did it really warrant starting a thread about your drainplug? You own a Nomad - stop swimming so much and you won't wear out your drainplug.

·
Registered
185 Posts
put a cork in it. wine corks work great. also they are easily removable for draining. we've rolled with several boats corked and they have never failed. sometimes it'll breakoff but always stays flush with the boat and does the job.
there are different size corks

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
:Dyes jackson is a very nice . fixing your boat should be fun . I would recomend re-locating your drain plug . three good choices left ... or seven and you could run everything backwards . thank you , thank you . the aftermarket choices are unlimited and sealing the old one off is a good idea . Then just drill and glue and weld , you could even have one in brass if you want . the home depot "you can do it , we can't help you " er " you " er " can" ha!!! peace out:lol:

·
Registered
1 Posts
WEST SYSTEM epoxy has a new product out called G/Flex. It will bond to Polyethylene in the 15-1900psi range depending on the surface preparation. You can use it to fix your threads or bond in a new sleeve.

If it were mine, I would wax the plug and glue it in with G/Flex. When it has cured, just back it out and the epoxy stays attached to the boat. For the surface prep - use 60-80 grit inside and flame treat it (passing a propane torch over the surface - 12"/sec keeping the flame tip .5-2" away from plastic)

Questions? call technical service 866-937-8797

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for your helpful suggestion, I never thought to use duct tape.

I'm just reporting my experience. I'm not out to bash Dagger, in fact this is the first season that I've spent any significant amount of time in a boat, mostly because I like this boat so much. So yes, I swim a lot. I swim just about every time out paddling, but it's beginning to happen less often, so perhaps next year I won't need a drain plug but for now I happen to like it there. Some of us have to work at becoming a competent paddler, perhaps you didn't, I guess you're better than me.

So my original post was to get info on either a good plastic welder in Colorado or which glue would be best to bond to Kayak plastic.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice, I'm bonding in a new drain plug and we'll see how it holds up.

I can't resist. . .
It sounds like WS is sucking big time and needs to get their act together. I think we get the drift: the cockpits are cracking, WS is leaving shops out to dry, the reps are "powerless", and customers are getting the runaround.

Jackson is the greatest, huggiest, warm n'fuzzy boating company on the planet. Great boats, great team, family business, etc. If your boat has a problem you click your heels together and you get a brand new boat. Whoopie!

Your drain plug threads are wearing out and you want to bash Dagger on mountainbuzz because you can't "get any answers?" Give me a break!!! Call a shop - buy a plug repair kit and a box of tissues and then move on! Worse - if you are a cheap schmuck like me, get duck tape, plug the damn thing, and get back on the river.

What the heck is it with everyone on this site lately? Post something about your great trip over the weekend, a new first descent, how to perfect your offside roll, or at least reopen the debate about whether the Numbers is Class III or Class IV. BSOE or Double a Ron - do something!

Did it really warrant starting a thread about your drainplug? You own a Nomad - stop swimming so much and you won't wear out your drainplug.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think you're asking for trouble in the long run by cutting your boat for a new drain plug. You don't need any stinkin' drain plugs anyway. Plug it up. And drain the water out of your cockpit.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Even if you swim a lot, I have to agree with the votes for silicone or duct-taping that thing shut for good. A bad drain plug is not worth the time spent to do anything else. There is nothing wrong with swimming a lot when you are learning, as long as you are sticking to class III until you get over that phase. Manhandling your boat to drain it out of the cockpit will be good strength training.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I like my drain plug too.

I've got a jefe and drain plugs are great, I agree with you. I would reccomend sealing your plug and putting a new one in on the other side (and aqua seal EVERYTHING daggers are netorious for leaks but otherwise great boats!) I also just happen to know someone who swam almost everytime out her first year and now in her second year she's lapped pine creek rapid a few times so swimming is good for you. It teaches you to respect the river, most good paddlers forget that it is the little things that get you. My last swim was on a class V+ first D and you know where I swam? A knuckle scraping pin that was probably class 2 maybe 3.

Remeber, "We're all between swims."

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Joel,
I apologize for my post yesterday.
1) I was between BBQ's (Read: a few too many cans of PBR)
2) I was unnecessarily harsh.

I don't take back the fact that there are a few too many whiners on the buzz lately. Initially, it just looked like you were trying to stir up the waters on the recent boat company bashing. A leaking drainplug is a pain in the ass (I should know - I too swim too much).

I usually make it a point never to post on the Buzz after I've been drinking, and this is a good reminder.

Good luck on fixing that plug.

Jeff

1 - 20 of 20 Posts