Mountain Buzz banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I'll bet osage orange is known to him...IIRC it was a popular wood for wagon/coach builders.
I understand there are 100 year-old osage orange fence posts still standing and holding wire that haven't rotten yet. Incredible wood. Was also popular for indigenous bowmakers.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'm certain he knows about it, but it's unlikely you're going to go down to your local hardwood supplier and get a pies of 8\4x6 like he tested in the rest.

There was a pioneer in Central\Eastern Oregon who wrote a few books...his name escapes me at the moment...one line in his book that stuck with me was "I've got juniper fence posts that have worn out 3 sets of post holes" meaning he'd moved the fence 3x and re-used the same post. Very rot resistant. I imagine juniper would be great for boat building IIFFF you could find clear, straight grained lumber...which is nye impossible. It's also prone to twisting and warping... perhaps less of an issue if you could find it straight grained...

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I have some 50+ year old juniper wood that my great-grandfather cut. The tops on these oars have juniper accents.

Sky Bird Water Boat Watercraft

I'd be hesitant to cut any juniper today, it's not endangered, but it's extremely slow-growing and not exactly renewable...but since it was already cut, I'll hoard it and find places to utilize it. :)
LMK if you want some...I have pieces up to 6" wide.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Off topic here, but....

At least in this corner of the world, juniper is basically a weed. There are some "old growth" groves. That deserve to be saved, but through most of it's natural range, it was historically fairly sparse, and little more than a shrub, being thinned and stunted by the regular range fires. Today there are substantial eradication programs trying to reduce the density of juniper trees. They use a massive amount of water, starving native bunch grasses of moisture, and drying creeks. Unfortunately, it is rarely of any commercial(or natural) value.

·
Registered
262 Posts
One of the thoughts I've had about dory builds-- that would certainly add some complexity (and a bit of weight} but would add some versatility, and get the boat on the water a bit quicker...
Rather than decking it, building compartments, what about building boxes to fit.
Like I have my kitchen box for my raft that comes out, or perhaps a custom cooler for a rower's seat.
Again, I realize it would make the build more difficult, but when you're just going out for the day, you don't have all the additional weight of the compartments\decks.
Could just throw some flat seat frames in....

What do you fellas think??

21 - 27 of 27 Posts